Steve Vai

Lets talk about music and musicians
Coolriffs
VIP
VIP

24 Aug 2007 18:00

Hey Patrice, voila un bon candidat pour une Vigier...Anyway Steve is for me the ultimate player, I listen to him since Zappa...ma main player since then...!!!

Ben
VIP
VIP

25 Aug 2007 09:31

Saw him play at the Astoria a few years ago - his live tone is really good, really chunky which surprised me...It was listening to Vai when I was younger that got me into playing 7 string guitars. One of the first albums I got when I started playing guitar was the Whitesnake album Slip of Tounge. I really liked the work he did on this album especially the song 'Wings of the Storm'.
Coolriffs
VIP
VIP

25 Aug 2007 11:47

Coolriffs wrote: Saw him play at the Astoria a few years ago - his live tone is really good, really chunky which surprised me...It was listening to Vai when I was younger that got me into playing 7 string guitars. One of the first albums I got when I started playing guitar was the Whitesnake album Slip of Tounge. I really liked the work he did on this album especially the song 'Wings of the Storm'.
to Tell you the thruth it is the best guitar sound I've heard at the Bell Center in Montreal...
Rik-GuitarStudio
Super user
Super user

25 Aug 2007 18:05

I think what surprised me most was how dark this amps are.  Very good sounding.   I have played the TOL 100, and the Carvins since the 80's and they are very dark.       Great Player.   dont know how many times I have seen him.
Coolriffs
VIP
VIP

25 Aug 2007 18:17

Coolriffs wrote: I think what surprised me most was how dark this amps are.  Very good sounding.   I have played the TOL 100, and the Carvins since the 80's and they are very dark.       Great Player.   dont know how many times I have seen him.
Same here...Steve rely more on pedal to get his sound...strangely  Tubesreamer and  DS-1 are the base of his tone!!
Chris
Super user
Super user

27 Aug 2007 02:58

Coolriffs wrote: Saw him play at the Astoria a few years ago - his live tone is really good, really chunky which surprised me...It was listening to Vai when I was younger that got me into playing 7 string guitars. One of the first albums I got when I started playing guitar was the Whitesnake album Slip of Tounge. I really liked the work he did on this album especially the song 'Wings of the Storm'.
Do you mean the same Astoria as the Live in Astoria dvd?  If so, I've watched that a bunch of times.... awesome show.  One of the things that really shocked me was how cool the Billy Sheehan song (Chameleon) was.
Rik-GuitarStudio
Super user
Super user

27 Aug 2007 03:02

OH man.. Vai and Billy just ROCK together..  amazing!!  I seen Vai in a small theater,.  front row, I was jamming out listening and billing was high fives and just rippin it for me.  I could feel the energy and I was PUMPED UP!  LOL..  vai would come over and spit a pick out.  I dont know how many picks from both players I ended up with,  I wsa handing them out to people behind me hahaha..   Watching Billy with Gilbert is another amazing thing! Look up on youtube addicted to that rush by Mr. Big.  ANOTHER WOW moment :D
Ben
VIP
VIP

27 Aug 2007 09:04

Coolriffs wrote:
Do you mean the same Astoria as the Live in Astoria dvd?  If so, I've watched that a bunch of times.... awesome show.  One of the things that really shocked me was how cool the Billy Sheehan song (Chameleon) was.
Yeah, that was the show they recorded, I have watched the DVD but that does nothing for how good the sound was in the actual venue!!
Chris
Super user
Super user

30 Aug 2007 02:38

What really makes me think Steve is one with his guitar is not really when he's going off, playing some super fast part, but when he's stepping on it, and it sounds like it's screaming or something.  
Coolriffs
VIP
VIP

30 Aug 2007 02:49

Coolriffs wrote: I'm a hardcore fa, totally !Yeah Steve Vai is, IMO, the best guitar player ever - and by far.He just redefined the boundaries of instrumental guitar.Actually it comes as no surprise since most guitar players only do guitar albums, while steve vai is actuallly a composer.But more than that, his years w Zappa and his endless passion for discovering new musical boundaries and flavours make his music trully different. Not many people today, espceially among guitar player can claim that what they're playintg is unlike anything else.Finally, what makes him completely unattainable, he doesn't play guitar, it's a second language for him. Forget the technique, the theory. He just feels something and let the guitar speaks. That's totally surreal.Is this guy human ? Looks like his fingers are POSSESSED...........Well i know many people don't like Steve, and i understand that his music and style are not for everybody...I saw hime 4x, actually once every year in the last 4 years. In madrid (G3), Paris (Real illusions tour, Zappa tour, Sound Theories)I met him twice, but i didn"t really have something to say, and didn't wanted to look like a freak "oh yeah i love your music" - i say that because i saw a few fabs that just looked scary -  As i look back, i did probably NOT look better, but at least i tried !!!!!!!!!!So just said hello and a few words about the show, a picture and that's it.Oh yeah, and i showed him my tatoo (he asked about it).Steve is very Kind. Paul Gilbert as well. More than any other guitar player i've met (famous or not).It always make me laugh to see some players that are not THAT famous and are very pretentious while Steve and Paul are just so patient and kind.
Not that I want to make a contest out of it but I saw Vai at least 10 times and except when he played with David Lee Roth ( he had an horrible sound at the time...too much gear!!!! ) his guitar sound and playing were ALWAYS PHENOMENAL!!!!!I'm speechless when I come to talk about Steve... Coolriffs
Chris
Super user
Super user

04 Sep 2007 22:53

Keneally is a monster.  When I saw Vai, Mike's band Beer For Dolphins was the opener, then he was the guitarist/keyboard for Vai.  They did a showdown thing, where it was all call and response back and forth.  It eventually got so crazy that they both pulled the whammy bars off their guitars and were just banging them up and down the fretboards.  Excellent show.
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

06 Sep 2007 09:47

About 10 days ago, we contacted him, not to "steal" him from Ibanez, but just for him to try the Surfreter. Ibanez does not do such guitars, so our approach was cool. We received an answer from his lawyer. Since then I avoid him.
Coolriffs
VIP
VIP

06 Sep 2007 18:41

Coolriffs wrote: About 10 days ago, we contacted him, not to "steal" him from Ibanez, but just for him to try the Surfreter. Ibanez does not do such guitars, so our approach was cool. We received an answer from his layer. Since then I avoid him.
Are you serous...lawyer...wow...I would stay away also!!
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

28 Sep 2007 12:47

Coolriffs wrote: lawyer not layer !.............Actually, Steve Vai DOES have a fretless guitar, the 3-Neck guitar has a fretless neck..........His lawyer receives a lot of demands, but you shouod try to get someone who knows steve into the fretless.here's a list of people that would be interested and know steve vai very well:- Mike Keneally- Tony Macalpine- Larry Dimarzio- Dave Weiner
Thanks for the correction...I think I can contact artist directly, if they ask their lawyer to answer me, something is wrong...
Ben
VIP
VIP

28 Sep 2007 20:56

So Patrice, you never told me...is his lawyer a good player...as I have not heard of him!! 
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

04 Oct 2007 07:20

Coolriffs wrote:So Patrice, you never told me...is his lawyer a good player...as I have not heard of him!! 
He plays well a certain kind of music that you do not want to hear