Dream Theatre

Lets talk about music and musicians
Coolriffs
VIP
VIP

23 Aug 2007 23:22

Saw them last Friday in Montreal...are you guys familiar with them?...dudes these guys are so good that when you go to their show you just cant watch one guy , all of them are that good...Portnoy(drummer) is soo great and he's the first drummer I know who think everybody is watching him all the time...I mean If Petrucci is doing a solo , Portnoy is doing everything he can to draw your attention.flip stick, faking hitting himself in the head, totally ilarious!!...Right now they are awsome . I think I saw them 5 or 6 times and except for their music they were kind of boring, now their stage act is perfect!!
Rik-GuitarStudio
Super user
Super user

23 Aug 2007 23:27

Dream theater ROCKS!  Mike the drummer is an amazing artist.  Watching him keeps me memorized to the stage.  Then I drift back to Petrucci.  then I just say wow on John Myung!  What a bass player!  and then the Keyboard player hiding away just pops out and rips!  check him out too..  http://youtube.com/watch?v=BtaYQbxrh2M Just unreal! 
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

24 Aug 2007 09:33

They are great as well as John Petrucci. I had an opportunity to meet him in Japan (I'm lucky) and had dinner with him (Larry DiMarzio invited us Thanks Larry!). John Petrucci is a very nice person, very humble. I'm glad he moved to Music Man because their guitar quality matches better what he is.

KEV V6 255
VIP
VIP

24 Aug 2007 17:42

Going to see them later in the year in  the UK
Coolriffs
VIP
VIP

24 Aug 2007 18:12

Coolriffs wrote: Yeah i love Dream Theater.I met Mike Portnoy in april he's very noce and he loves to talk about music 24/7 !I might also meet Petrucci soon, but not sure yet....I own all their albums. I also went to a show, on the TOT tour and i've got free tickets for the show in Paris in October.My favourite albums are Scenes from a memory and Octavarium. And Images and words.For some reason, i never really liked awake and Six Degrees and TOT.Everybody seems to hate "falling into infinity" but i think it's a great albuum, and contains classics such as trial Of Tears and Peruvian Skies. I love this one too.The new album is ok, but frankly tracks 6 - 7 -8 are quite boring.John Petrucci tends to plays solos that seem less "scholar" and more energetic, at least one solo that's great in track 3 i think. Track 4 is probably the one everyone is trying to play now.On stage they're ok when James decides not to try to emulate a siren, although they don't move much except for mike.Their backup videos on stage also got better, they used to be pretty lame.I think in the last 5 years they just became THE band to see. Their audience is regular and their fanbase is Huge. It took a lot of time to confirm their position but now they're probably the world's most popular metal band, along with maiden.And metallica, but it's not what it used to be anymore.............John' Music Man guitar is really a good one. Much better than the Ibanez he used to have.$A lot of people think basswood is a cheap wood used only on cheap guitars but good basswood guitars are just as good as any other guitar, just a little darker.And John Myung just switched to Music Man too.Vigier and Music Man are long-term friends you know....My 2 cents.
Intersting...didn't know that!!
Rik-GuitarStudio
Super user
Super user

24 Aug 2007 21:16

agreed that is very cool!  and something I didnt know!  :D   Peruvian Skies is one of my favorite, too! 
Ash Lewis
New
New

05 Sep 2007 09:55

I am going to see dream theater at wembley arena next month! ive seen them twice before, once on the six degrees tour and once on the train of thought tour. John petrucci is simply the best guitarist ever! the band is awesome and their songs kick *!