Allan Holdsworth

Lets talk about music and musicians
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

08 Jun 2007 22:27

How many of you have said to me: "Allan should be with Vigier".

B
VIP
VIP

01 Dec 2007 12:13

Many people and i will add my voice too because Allan is simply a GENIUS. I went to see him in concert on Thursday, Chad Wackerman on drums and Jimmy Johnson on bass. I'm still speechless, and i got to meet the guys afterwards!! Allan is such an awsome guitarist yet such a nice humble guy. I say give him a guitar for free if you have to Patrice, cos in my humble opinion he is really is above everyone, not just on a different planet, but a different universe!! He is the guitar god's god, a leader in a field of one etc.... Cheers Brad  
B
VIP
VIP

07 Dec 2007 15:55

Well, I will warn you...at first listen his music can be very 'hard going'. Its hard to articulate what I want to say about his music. I suppose it depends on what music you listen to. Previously i was into Vai, Satriani, Dream Theater mostly rock orientated stuff that doesn't really demand too much from the listener in a harmonic sense. Then I heard Holdsworth  . Everything changed, it really was a challenge to listen to this....Alien. Now that may not seem like too much fun, and it took me a while to actually like his stuff, but after a bit I got it!! Not to play, but just to able to listen and enjoy. His approach to chords is really unique. Take a simple Cmaj7 for example. 4 notes C E G B, and us mere mortals will likely play what is most comfortable i.e A string root at the 3rd fret(A shape). But Allan's would span 10 bloody frets! He tends to take this approach with all his chord voicings. I'm sure you will seldom see him play an open G chord. As for his soloing technique...I don't know where to begin...it's MINDBOGGLING!!  As far as suggested listening is concerned his most ''accessible'' album is probably 'Metal Fatigue' and a personal fave of mine is the 'Sixteen men of Tain'. He also has a greatest hit called 'Against the Clock'. I must admit i find the vocal songs a little cheesy, but hey, thats my problem! Also go on youtube and see vids of him in action, there are hundreds. Some people get him, a lot don't, thats fair enough, but do stick with him if you find it a struggle at first, but even if you don't like his music i bet my bottom dollar you will be amazed by his technique! Cheers Brad  
megalodon
Super user
Super user

07 Dec 2007 20:19

1Patrice Vigier wrote:

Many people and i will add my voice too because Allan is simply a GENIUS. I went to see him in concert on Thursday, Chad Wackerman on drums and Jimmy Johnson on bass. I'm still speechless, and i got to meet the guys afterwards!! Allan is such an awsome guitarist yet such a nice humble guy. I say give him a guitar for free if you have to Patrice, cos in my humble opinion he is really is above everyone, not just on a different planet, but a different universe!! He is the guitar god's god, a leader in a field of one etc....

Cheers

Brad

Check this out:http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZCRqjZDBgVQ
B
VIP
VIP

07 Dec 2007 22:32

Thats them, the 'Holy trinity' lol. Y'know it's 20 odd years since that concert but from the way the guys played the other week you would never have thought so! Has anyone else had the experience of seeing the great man live?
megalodon
Super user
Super user

09 Dec 2007 22:53

1Patrice Vigier wrote:Thats them, the 'Holy trinity' lol. Y'know it's 20 odd years since that concert but from the way the guys played the other week you would never have thought so! Has anyone else had the experience of seeing the great man live?
No. I wasn't really into Holdsworth when he came here in my country the last time... I'm still not really a nr.1 fan, but I do feel I've missed out. I hope I'll get another chance.
Coolriffs
VIP
VIP

13 Jan 2008 00:46

though I must admit for 10 years now I've listen mostly at any kind of heavy guitar music , from 80's metal to Killswitch engage , just before that , as I was at doing my degree in music , I was really into fusion and Holdsworth was my god and I saw him like 5 times and totally floored by him each concerts!!!Still is and always will be one of my favorite ARTIST!!!Coolriffs
Mike Keller
Super user
Super user

18 Feb 2008 17:05

Without a doubt, the most unique and brilliant electric guitar player i have ever heard. Allan exists in his own category of music!! peace Mike