Best passive pickups for Excalibur Ultra?

Let's talk about the amps, effects, etc… that you use with your Vigier, tell us how you get your sound.
andyg_prs

25 Jan 2015 22:32

Hi there,

Just got this great guitar, but don't like active pickups at all.  What HSH set would you recommend for me?  I'll keep the switching combinations the same as current as I do like the HH option in position 3.

Clean sounds are very important to me as well as high gain sounds....

Would love to hear your recommendations. 

By the way, I like to avoid the nasal sound, as far as possible, that you often get with humbucker in the bridge.

Cheers,

Andy

Ben
VIP
VIP

07 Sep 2017 11:27

Very subjective and tastes change…I have different p/ups in both my Ultra's - Seymour Duncan's in both (JB/Jazz and CustomCustom/Pearly Gates) …but I have recently been looking at Bare Knuckle p/ups (and will probe drop them into one of my Ibanez 7's), as well as the Amber p/ups Vigier uses (as these are killer)…but that is my personal preference.

What did you go for and how did they sound?

prlgmnr
Super user
Super user

08 Sep 2017 15:53

andyg_prs wrote: as well as the Amber p/ups Vigier uses (as these are killer)

What sort of output are these? I'm thinking of swapping the Tone Zone out of my Excal for something lower output....though I could just (don't want to be ridiculously radical here)....turn the volume knob down sometimes.

Ben
VIP
VIP

11 Sep 2017 10:03

The are not as high output as the Tone Zone (and to my ears) are more musical, with a fatter, warmer tone.

prlgmnr
Super user
Super user

11 Sep 2017 10:09

If I go to my dealer and ask very nicely, and ask them to ask very nicely also, is there any chance of Vigier selling me an Amber-loaded pickguard for my Excal so I can chop and change at will?

Ben
VIP
VIP

11 Sep 2017 10:24

Absolutely  - just specify the model of your guitar and serial number when you order, here is a list of dealers; http://vigier.co.uk/index.php/dealers/

andyg_prs

12 Sep 2017 11:31

andyg_prs wrote:

Very subjective and tastes change…I have different p/ups in both my Ultra's - Seymour Duncan's in both (JB/Jazz and CustomCustom/Pearly Gates) …but I have recently been looking at Bare Knuckle p/ups (and will probe drop them into one of my Ibanez 7's), as well as the Amber p/ups Vigier uses (as these are killer)…but that is my personal preference.

What did you go for and how did they sound?

I sold the guitar long ago (long story) but I can say that I tried BKP Emeralds and Nailbombs and wasn't impressed.  I play in a prog rock / metal band and couldn't get the pinched harmonics to jump out in the way I wanted...in the end I went for some Dimarzio Evolutions...and job done :)