Insurance for instruments

Lets talk about guitars
B
VIP
VIP

08 Oct 2007 16:34

Hi, not sure if there is a topic on this already but...

Has anybody here insured any of their guitars?

If so how and who with, is it a good idea or has anyone had any bad experiences with insuring their equipment?

The reason I ask is because this is the first time I will have ever spent this amount of money on a guitar when I get my Excalibur Special and it seems like a sensible thing to do if, god forbid, it was stolen or summat :-(.  

Cheers

Brad

VigierUSA
Super user
Super user

08 Oct 2007 17:43

Brad,It seems that most homeowner's policies will cover your instruments, as long as you have documentation and serial numbers etc.For on the road insurance, you might do a search for musical instrument insurance on Yahoo or Google. I know that there are companies that offer this, at a reasonable cost.
B
VIP
VIP

09 Oct 2007 13:14

Thanks for the help Vigier USA. I guess I'm after cover for when I am gigging and what not if the guitar is already be covered by the home insurance. I'll check it out and see what i can find. Thanks again Brad
Ben
VIP
VIP

09 Oct 2007 13:32

Hi Brad,          VigierUSA speaks the truth - in fact most music shops should be able to point you in the right direction as well. If you get it sorted on your home insurance make sure you get the right cover you need such as 'cover for taking the guitar out of the house' and also watch for any clauses that may also be put into this aggrement such as not covered while playing or if it is covered while in a car etc.  Try this link for some companies in the UK www.e-insurancedirectory.com/musical.php
VigierUSA
Super user
Super user

09 Oct 2007 15:42

We use a company called " The Hartford" insurance company. They cover all our instruments and equipment at tradeshows and while travelling as well as in the shop.I don't know if they cover private individuals. Their website: http://hartford.insurance-website.com/
B
VIP
VIP

10 Oct 2007 14:11

Lots of really useful info guys, thanks a lot! I guess there are always pitfalls and loopholes to look out for with insurance for anything, let alone guitars, but thats the nature of the beast eh? I've also heard being a member of the Musicians Union could be helpful. However I won't get the Special in my dirty mitts for a couple of months yet so there is plenty of time to do research. Really greatful for your help! Brad