Treble Bleed for Excalibur Ultra Blues and Tone Pot Question

Lets talk about guitars
Fernandes
New
New

14 Jul 2022 08:24

Hi Folks!
I am currently experimenting with treble bleed mods on my Excalibur Ultra Blues guitars. I have tried different Capacitor Values also with a 150K Resistor in parallel. At the moment I play one guitar with a 330pf Cap and one with a 680pf Cap. I am interested to know if anybody else has tried mods for the volume pot and which values they use. I am also curios to know why Patrice has opted for no treble bleed?
Same goes for the tone pot. Is there a possibility to get a more even respone as on the standard install? At the moment 90% of turning the tone pot nothing happens, and at the last 10% the roll off is very fast.
Any Input is highly appreciated - thanks in advance!
Best regards
Filipe
marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

15 Jul 2022 18:41

Fernandes wrote:Any Input is highly appreciated - thanks in advance!
Best regards
Filipe
Hi, Filipe. I’ve found that I prefer a 500k linear taper volume with 680pF/150k treble bleed connected in the modern way to a 250k audio taper tone pot in which the cap values vary quite a bit from one guitar to another. I’ve A/B’d between the treble bleed and 50s wiring, and find that I simply prefer the former.

Of course, it’s all a matter of preference. I first tried a Vigier in 2012 or so (after they’d switched over to 1M pots), and I could see where some might prefer the factory component values - But by that time, I already had other preferences. 
Fernandes
New
New

17 Jul 2022 12:09

Hi
and thanks for your reply.
Does the change from the 1Meg Pot to the 500k Pot alter the sound? If yes, how much? 
Did you solve with your mods the uneven response of the Tone Pot?
Kind regards
marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

17 Jul 2022 18:44

Fernandes wrote: Hi
and thanks for your reply.
Does the change from the 1Meg Pot to the 500k Pot alter the sound? If yes, how much? 
Did you solve with your mods the uneven response of the Tone Pot?
Kind regards
As I said, each person will prefer something different. I feel the 1Meg pots are good for approximating the sound of the pickup being soldered directly to the output jack. But because I prefer pickups with a lower wind and higher resonant peak, they can sound too bright to my ears unless I tame those frequencies by changing potentiometer and capacitor values. 

My preferred tone pot response is very specific, and I experiment with achieving it in different ways. It all needs to be tailored for the individual; and I don’t know what your preference is. I like a tone knob that rolls off the harsher treble frequencies of the bridge pickup when turned down to 7, and can get a jazzier sound out of the neck pickup turned down to 5 or so. 

For an existing guitar others can reference, I personally enjoy the response of the Charvel Guthrie Govan (a low friction 500k audio taper pot with a .05mfd wax paper capacitor).