String action

Lets talk about guitars
zeroradius

11 Dec 2021 14:38

Hello everybody.

I saw that the Shawn Lane Signature Model is delivered with an incredibly low string action. Now my question is - are other models, such as the G.V. Wood Les Paul, also capable of that low string action or is it just the signature model that allows it?
I am looking for a new guitar with a very flat or no radius because I love to play very low action, but most guitars don't allow that without string buzz.
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

12 Dec 2021 09:03

Remove Les Paul, it is not a Les Paul, it is a G.V., Georges Vigier :-?
You can have the GV with the same action, but you will not be able to bend the string, this is due to the round fingerboard. On the Shawn Lane, the fingerboard is flat.
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

12 Dec 2021 09:06

And at 0,7 mm, strings buzz, this is physical we cannot avoid it, what we "guaranty" is that it buzz the "same" all over the neck.
zeroradius

13 Dec 2021 13:55

Sorry, the GV guitar was offered as a modern Les Paul in one of the German stores that are reselling Vigier guitars.

I understand that there is always some slight buzz, which is not problematic when distorted, but a lot of guitar buzz extremely even when setup with a PLEK machine because of their fret board radius.

I am about to order a Shawn Lane model. Now, the shop where I get it from offers a setup for all their guitars that includes a leveling of the frets. I assume that the quality control of Vigier already takes care of that though, right?

Had a lot of guitars that had not so good levelled frets, but they were mass produced ones.
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

14 Dec 2021 08:31

If they level the Vigier frets we will stop to deliver them, because we think our fret job is "perfect" and all what they will do is damage it and cancel the warranty. :geek:
zeroradius

14 Dec 2021 10:18

1Patrice Vigier wrote: If they level the Vigier frets we will stop to deliver them, because we think our fret job is "perfect" and all what they will do is damage it and cancel the warranty. :geek:
Hahaha, good reply. That's the answer I was hoping for. I ordered it - the Shawn Lane signature model. It arrives Friday. 8-)

I had two guitars from two different brands that had such unlevelled frets that the dealer PLEKed them for free because it was unplayable unless you raised the action to 3mm. But they were all mass produced.
zeroradius

17 Dec 2021 13:15

My Shawn Lane signature model arrived! What an awesome guitar!! I have one more question: The screws of the pickups are individually highy. Some are very low, some are very close to the strings. Was that done on purpose for tonal reasons?
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

19 Dec 2021 21:11

zeroradius wrote: My Shawn Lane signature model arrived! What an awesome guitar!! I have one more question: The screws of the pickups are individually highy. Some are very low, some are very close to the strings. Was that done on purpose for tonal reasons?
Yes, the bigger the string soul is, the louder the string sounds, it is to adjust them so they sound equal
marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

25 Dec 2021 17:25

Congrats on getting an SL. As someone who has owned (and extensively modified) the Natural and Master models, please feel free to discuss any aspect of the guitar and I’ll likely respond.
zeroradius

31 Dec 2021 05:50

marcwormjim wrote: Congrats on getting an SL. As someone who has owned (and extensively modified) the Natural and Master models, please feel free to discuss any aspect of the guitar and I’ll likely respond.
Hey man. That's very nice of you! I am very happy with the SL. First of all, it sounds amazing. I put slightly thicker strings on it and increased the height a little but not by too much (1mm high E and 1.4mm low E string). The only thing that I dislike a little is the tone control because it feels like it's not doing much unless you turn it around 90%. My other guitars have a better responding tone control. But apart from that, everything is amazing. The neck feels perfect, the fret work is perfect and the guitar looks outstanding. Given that I play mostly in D standard, I am planning to put on thicker strings soon and see how it goes. 10-46 become a little bit too slobby when tuned down a whole step.
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

31 Dec 2021 13:46

If you put 010 strings, you must change the nut. The one you have must have one dots on the bottom, you need two dots so it fits strings up to 010-052
https://www.vigierguitars.com/faq-2/
kasimasi
New
New

30 Jan 2022 12:22

hi guys. need some one help. my Vigier GV has up bow. why this model does not have trust rod ?!! what should I do? such amazing guitar has no trust rod and when the neck has got bow what should we do? help me please. 
marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

31 Jan 2022 12:58

kasimasi wrote: hi guys. need some one help. my Vigier GV has up bow. why this model does not have trust rod ?!! what should I do? such amazing guitar has no trust rod and when the neck has got bow what should we do? help me please. 
Any reason you bumped three unrelated threads, rather than post one with your specific problem? In another thread, you claimed you clamped the neck for twenty four hours. Did you clamp it against a straight piece of wood, and have you ever attempted such a repair, before? Unless the guitar is under warranty, find a proper luthier experienced in resetting bowed necks - The same tension that affected your neck in one direction will move it in another.
zeroradius

15 Mar 2024 02:17

1Patrice Vigier wrote: If you put 010 strings, you must change the nut. The one you have must have one dots on the bottom, you need two dots so it fits strings up to 010-052
https://www.vigierguitars.com/faq-2/
Hello Patrice,

I have a question. I would like to put 11-56 strings on my Vigier. I never replaced anything on the guitar, simply replaced the strings and played cause I never noticed anything wrong with it. The playability was amazing and the strings fit into the nut without any issues or the need to adjust it. But I just saw your reply of my old post that I had to replace the nut when I already put my 10-52 on the guitar.

If I need a new nut for the thick 11-56 strings, where do I buy it? Do you have it in-store? I also do not have any dots on my nut like you described. It is just a plain, dark nut.
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

15 Mar 2024 15:00

Soon we will have a Vigier parts store
zeroradius

17 Mar 2024 00:46

Oh my god. I wanted to install new pickups today, and I noticed the screws are different. The vigier pick guard has two screens on one side and one on the other. Can I just use a HSH pickguard with two pot holes and screw it on the vigier? Or what shall I do? I cannot install the pickups otherwise.
zeroradius

17 Mar 2024 00:58

Or does Vigier offer such services? I am scared I will * up doing it on my own, and I do not trust anyone with my guitar because in the past, whenever I had a professional change pickups, they scratched my guitar - even at Thomann :(
marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

17 Mar 2024 02:33

zeroradius wrote: I am scared I will * up doing it on my own, and I do not trust anyone with my guitar because in the past, whenever I had a professional change pickups, they scratched my guitar - even at Thomann :(
If you trust no one (including yourself) to change your guitar’s pickups, then why are you changing them? 

When you take the pickguard off and see how the original pickup baseplate tabs have been modified for the two screws, you’ll see that you can transplant it over to the new pickups by drilling out the mounting hole on the baseplate mounting tab the adapter plate fits on to. Your other options are to just drill a new screw hole in the pickguard to mount the unmodified pickup, or fabricate a new pickguard with “standard” pickup mounting screw holes. 
zeroradius

17 Mar 2024 03:16

marcwormjim wrote:
zeroradius wrote: I am scared I will * up doing it on my own, and I do not trust anyone with my guitar because in the past, whenever I had a professional change pickups, they scratched my guitar - even at Thomann :(
If you trust no one (including yourself) to change your guitar’s pickups, then why are you changing them? 

When you take the pickguard off and see how the original pickup baseplate tabs have been modified for the two screws, you’ll see that you can transplant it over to the new pickups by drilling out the mounting hole on the baseplate mounting tab the adapter plate fits on to. Your other options are to just drill a new screw hole in the pickguard to mount the unmodified pickup, or fabricate a new pickguard with “standard” pickup mounting screw holes. 
I changed a lot of pickups and never had issues. Only when changing passive to active, I needed help in the past and Thomann screwed up two of my guitars with their screwdriver, jamming big scratches into it and then saying "Oh our bad, we gonna polish it a little". I neither have the gear to drill holes nor the experience. The adapter plate does not fit, I tried it. The two holes are covered by the pickup plate below. So that will not solve it.
zeroradius

17 Mar 2024 03:18

zeroradius wrote:
marcwormjim wrote:

I changed a lot of pickups and never had issues. Only when changing passive to active, I needed help in the past and Thomann screwed up two of my guitars with their screwdriver, jamming big scratches into it and then saying "Oh our bad, we gonna polish it a little". I neither have the gear to drill holes nor the experience. The adapter plate does not fit, I tried it. The two holes are covered by the pickup plate below. So that will not solve it.
and I did not just want to change the pickups, but also the pots, cause the guitar sounds too bright in my opinion. I love the guitar, but the sound is not as * as my other guitars. I love my Shawn Lane, so obviously I try to preserve it as much as I can. If anyone can recommend a good service, or maybe if Vigier does such services for money, let me know. I am willing to pay a lot of it is done professionally...