Floyd vs Vigier Trem Range, Tuning Compensation

Lets talk about guitars
State of Epicicity
New
New

25 Mar 2021 22:11

Two questions:

Is there a massive difference in range of dive or pull back between the Vigier trem and the Vigier modded Floyds?  It's so much more common to find Excaliburs with the Vigier trem, it has me wondering if the Floyd versions offer much of any advantage.

Also, is the zero fret on a Vigier placed closer to the bridge at all from a traditional placement?  I also use compensated systems for my guitars, whether it be installing a compensated nut or just using a guitar with the BFTS, and I saw a Twitter post from Patrice from years ago showing an early prototype of a compensated nut.  I had assumed for a while that Vigiers are not compensated, but seeing that post makes me wonder if they actually are!  I have no idea how the intonation is on a Vigier, and I'm about 900 miles from the nearest Vigier dealer in the United States.

Thanks in advance!
VigierDJ
VIP
VIP

26 Mar 2021 12:51

Hey there!

First, there isn't a huge difference in range when pushing down... you can get the classic "strings go slack" effect on either one. When it comes to pulling up, the 2011 type trem has about a step and a half of pull out of the factory. We pitch them forward slightly, which looks a little weird, but gives you plenty of room to play with. They are not completely floating so the Vigier Floyd definitely has the edge on that one.

The zero frets are not compensated at this time, but that sounds to me like something Patrice might be cooking up. Intonation is the same as any other standard nut/bridge equipped guitar, although our 2011 trem and GV stop tailpieces are all locking so once you set you intonation, you really shouldn't have to redo it until you decide to change tunings or string gauges.

If you need help in the US specifically, feel free to email me - dj@vigierguitars.com and I'd be happy to help you with whatever you need!
State of Epicicity
New
New

26 Mar 2021 17:46

Thanks so much DJ, that helps a lot.  I may have a couple more questions, but I'll email you if I come up with any others.

All the Best!
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

29 Mar 2021 12:19

I did a test  a very long time ago with a compensated zero fret and I did not find an interest..... I think the reason some manufacture use it is to compensate their approximate nut height adjustment or high action.