Open String Buzz Shawn Lane!! Help

Lets talk about guitars
stav92

11 Mar 2020 23:42

I'm having some issue with my Shawn Lane Excalibur (2017) ... Serial Number 150067

I bought replacement Vigier Zero Fret Segments and installed them but now I am experiencing choking / open string buzz, mainly at the B string . The fret segments don't look even in height, some are lower than others which is resulting in extremely low clearance of the B string and D strings at the 1st fret . (The B string is almost touching the first fret) 

Are the fret segments supposed to vary in sizes or is there something else causing this ?

Maybe this was happening before and I just didn't really notice it until now ?  I'm not sure ??!!

The E,  A , D ,  G &  E* strings all seem to have a 1st fret clearance / action between 0.007" - 0.008"  (0.18 - 0.21mm), which is fine. However the D string has a clearance of 0.006" (0.15mm) which is very low and the B string only has 0.005" (0.12mm) which is choking, muted and causing fret buzz when played open instead of ringing out. 

Please advise and offer a solution or fix... 

marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

12 Mar 2020 03:46

It reads as though you either received an incorrect replacement (with radiused segments rather than the flat one for the SL model) or the segments aren‘t seating properly.

stav92

12 Mar 2020 18:08

I think you are right ... but my dealer only stocked 1 option of zero fret segments so I assumed it would be ok ... Do you know if vigier make shawn lane fret segments ?? 

I hope I can trade these ones because I paid a lot of money and they are new . I have 12 pieces.

marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

15 Mar 2020 06:33

The forum doesn‘t function as much more than a FAQ archive, anymore.

If you or your dealer have contacted the UK distributor or Vigier HQ directly, the appropriate zero fret segments should be sent out.

Concerning the obviously mismatched parts you jammed into your guitar, that will likely be between you and the retailer to discuss. If you end up stuck with them, perhaps some forum or Facebook owners will want to buy them off you.

stav92

16 Mar 2020 10:18

Thsnks for the guidance, the reason I posted here also was because I have emailed vigier twice in the last month directly and have had no reply. I will just contact a dealer and ask for specifically to order shawn lane nut segments. I wasn't aware they had several specific nut segment specs

Ben
VIP
VIP

18 Mar 2020 08:30

Sorry to read - where are you emailing, as for Vigier UK all customer emails are answered (if you use the form do you specify the address - UK - if not it will not get through to me). The SL Zero-Fret-S is different, you will need to order and use this reference; µVIG-FRETZEROS-SL

EDIT: Ok, found your latest emails, but is only regarding the nut (on 11th Feb 2020), replied 12th Feb 2020 (and recieved your reply back to me the same day). There was no mention of the Zero-Fret-S, just the nut.

stav92

22 Mar 2020 18:23

stav92 wrote:

Sorry to read - where are you emailing, as for Vigier UK all customer emails are answered (if you use the form do you specify the address - UK - if not it will not get through to me). The SL Zero-Fret-S is different, you will need to order and use this reference; µVIG-FRETZEROS-SL

EDIT: Ok, found your latest emails, but is only regarding the nut (on 11th Feb 2020), replied 12th Feb 2020 (and recieved your reply back to me the same day). There was no mention of the Zero-Fret-S, just the nut.

Hey Ben, I emailed vigier customer support twice. I have also received 2 email confirmation copies...  Sent on 11th March

Message from Vigier website:Last name first name: Santis, StavrosAdress: Cranleigh GardensPostal code: N21 City: LondonCountry: United KingdomTelephone: 07733224240Email: stav100204 38@gmail.comMessage topic: Contact Internet:Customer ServiceHey, I'm having some issue with my Shawn Lane Excalibur .I swapped my Zero fret segments but now I have purchased and installed the new Zero fret segments I am experiencing choking / open string buzz, mainly at the B string . The fret segments don't look even in height, some are lower than others which is resulting in extremely low clearance of the B string and D strings at the 1st fret . (The B string is almost touching the first fret)Are the fret segments supposed to vary in sizes or is there something else causing this ?The E, A , D , G & E* strings all seem to have a 1st fret clearance / action between 0.007" - 0.008" (0.18 - 0.21mm), which is fine. However the D string has a clearance of 0.006" (0.15mm) which is very low and the B string only has 0.005" (0.12mm) which is choking, muted and causing fret buzz when played open instead of ringing out.Please advise and offer a solution. 

Thank you for contacting Vigierhttp://www.vigierguitars.com

stav92

22 Mar 2020 18:26

It's fine now I understand that I had the incorrect fret segments (radiused)

I have ordered 3 sets of correct SL Zero fret segments (x6) through the dealer. Thanks for providing the correct item ref. 

My only issue now is whether I can exchange or return these radiused segments I have seeing as I have 2 sets of them and they are brand new? Please let me know. It seems to late to send them back to the dealer as I bought them over 6 months ago...

Maybe I can just try to sell them. 

Ben
VIP
VIP

23 Mar 2020 10:09

Glad you got that sorted - for obvious reasons we can't get involved with your transaction between the dealer - but I am sure there are a lot of Vigier players out there who would take these off your hands (either here or via other selling platforms / forums).

TomHiddleston
New
New

22 Jan 2024 02:02

If the problem persists, you should take the instrument to a professional luthier