Tremolo 2010 question Shawn Lane master (bought used)

Lets talk about guitars
MrFox
New
New

02 Jan 2019 14:00

Hey ya all.

I have a quick question. I bought a Shawn Lane master signature guitar used in good condition but the tremolo itself is not directly resting on the body ( as I think it should). but it can be bend "upwards" a halfstep or so.

First question: Is it correct that tremolo in Shawn Lane master should not be able to tighten the strings, but only work "downwards". It is important for me, because of possible tuning issues if string breaks.

If this is correct what is the best way for me to return the guitar to its original state and find the original string action.

I have tried to lower the tremolo with 2 screws on the side but it alone wont do. All 3 of the springs are attached in the back. I havent been messing around too much with these things personally. but would like to try if someone has a better understanding how this would be achievable.

IIm sorry for my english already :).

- Fox

yuri1973
VIP
VIP

03 Jan 2019 14:02

you can set tremolo as you wish, floating OR resting on body (which is the factory default i believe).

both options are OK, it's perfectly normal to use it floating to either dive or pull (as you say, it has the disadvantage of going out of tune if one string breaks).

to have it resting on body, you have a few options:

1) put more springs (no risk of messing anything)

2) change string gauges (it may be it has currently heavier than usual strings, hence more tension from the strings pulling, so the bridge is pulled up and floats). stock strings are 9-42 or 9-46.

3) tighten the screws of the spring claw so it goes closer to body (careful, you don't want to tighten too much and risk cracking some wood, if you need to tighten much, then it's better you put more springs or review the string gauge in case you have very heavy strings put on)

hope this helps. if you can post a pic of your tremolo, and the tremolo's cavity, we can surely judge better.

happy new year!