Pickup Swap Question

Lets talk about guitars
DeLorean
Super user
Super user

22 Oct 2018 15:12

I’m looking to swap the pickups in my Shawn Lane signature as I just need a bit more balls and the Air Classics are a little low output for my taste.

After speak to Bareknuckle, I’m considering their ‘Holy Diver’ in the bridge and a ‘Cold Sweat’ in the neck, but I’m concerned about the 3 holes needed in the mounting plate – this seems to be particular to Vigier as I haven’t seen it on other guitars. 

Can the plate be removed from the existing pickups easily and then attached somehow to the new pickup?  I haven’t opened the guitar up yet to see, so I don’t know how it is attached to the Air Classics.

Ben
VIP
VIP

23 Oct 2018 09:01

Should be able to do this, or you could create a plate easily enough. Best is to open up and with new pickups see where you are at. At first glance might be a head scratcher, but it is actually easy enough to get around - if any worries a good luthier should be able to work a plate for the new pickup. The bonus of being able to control the 'tilt' gives even more control to the pickups orientation and therefore tone.

BTW - I installed a Holy Diver/Irish Tour/Emerald combo in a FR loaded guitar recently - I am loving this p/up combo!! 

Good luck!!