Shawn Lane Signature - Thin Sounding?

Lets talk about guitars
DeLorean
Super user
Super user

07 Sep 2018 10:09

So I got my Shawn Lane Signature earlier this week, and now that it’s had a setup and fret dress, I’m loving it!!  It’s my first Vigier, and the most comfortable guitar I’ve ever played - I’m already saving for another Vigier!

However, I’ve noticed that the Shawn Lane sounds very thin compared to my other guitars (Fender H-S-S superstrats with bareknuckle or Dimarzio PAF Pro’s). 

I thought the problem might be the Air Classics at first – but then I read the specs on DiMarizio’s site and I don’t think these should be an issue.

I’ve experimented with different pickup heights but it doesn’t really help.

Has anyone else found the same problem?  How did you resolve it?

VigierDJ
VIP
VIP

11 Sep 2018 14:31

Did you buy the guitar new or used? Generally the SLs sound pretty warm and thick (because of the pickups and also partly because of the shorter scale.)

We do use an unconventional wiring scheme on all the HSH guitars, I'm wondering if a previous owner may have swapped the switch at some point or something like that.

1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

11 Sep 2018 16:13

I do not know if "thin" is the right word, but the fact that the strings are very close to the frets gives a kind of compression to the sound. This might be what you call "thin".

That is the way Shawn Lane wanted his setting. Raising the strings may help you...

DeLorean
Super user
Super user

22 Oct 2018 15:23

DeLorean wrote:

Did you buy the guitar new or used? Generally the SLs sound pretty warm and thick (because of the pickups and also partly because of the shorter scale.)

We do use an unconventional wiring scheme on all the HSH guitars, I'm wondering if a previous owner may have swapped the switch at some point or something like that.

Hi DJ,

Sorry for the late reply,

I bought the guitar used, and you’re right, now that I’ve had a chance to play it more, it does sound warmer and thicker than I first thought, but the bridge pickup feels a bit underpowered to me – almost like a thick single coil, so I think I’m going flip that out for a Bareknuckle instead and see how that goes.

When you say the wiring is unconventional, in what regard?

DeLorean
Super user
Super user

22 Oct 2018 15:26

DeLorean wrote:

I do not know if "thin" is the right word, but the fact that the strings are very close to the frets gives a kind of compression to the sound. This might be what you call "thin".

That is the way Shawn Lane wanted his setting. Raising the strings may help you...

Thanks Patrice, I’ve raised the strings a little and also tried 10’s instead of 9s (I think I’m going to switch back to 9s though).  The tone isn’t as bad as I first thought – I just needed to EQ my amp differently to suit the guitar.  But I do feel like the bridge pickup is a little too weak for my taste.

Here’s a question for you though – I’ve recently bought a string dampener, as when I bought the guitar it didn’t have one  – should this be stuck immediately behind the nut, or should there be a small space between the nut and the dampener?

VigierDJ
VIP
VIP

22 Oct 2018 15:36

We use super switches in pretty much everything to allow for maximum flexibility and also to wire the single coil positions in a way to reduce as much 60 cycle hum as possible. So, the previous owner may have been inclined to monkey with it to see what options they had available. Swapping the pickup might ultimately be your best bet though.

For the dampener, it should go pretty much right behind the nut, with just a little space in between (couple mm?)... there's no function that I know of for puttng it significantly further back. 

1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

22 Oct 2018 15:39

5mm

DeLorean
Super user
Super user

22 Oct 2018 23:31

Thanks guys! :)

stav92

09 Nov 2018 00:13

Hey, I also have the Shawn Lane signature and let me explain 2 things. 

The reason the guitar sounds or feels thin is because of the Gauge 9 strings (super floppy and light gauge) AND the pickups are in fact very single-coily. The Dimarzio Air Classics are a low output, PAF style very bright wind with a scooped sounding Alnico 5 magnet. To top it off it is an 'airbucker', meaning they keep a gap between the magnet from touching the pole pieces inside the pickup which results in a squishy, twangy single coil kind of vibe and reduces some of the bass and punch/output. What I would suggest is keep the Neck pickup, and upgrade the Bridge Pickup to something a little fatter. 'AIR' pickups work best in the Neck position but in the Bridge they end up being too soft with a lack of punch.  I dont care what the dimarzio description says on the website... THESE PICKUPS ARE SCOOPED, VINTAGE SOUNDING WITH A LACK OF BASS/MIDS. I think they are still quite good pickups but I have changed the bridge for a NORTON in my Shawn Lane.  

I suggest you pick one of the following pickups (ranging from medium to high output depnding what music you play)

- Dimarzio AT-1 (Andy timmons sig pickup, fat vocal pickup, similar to a JB but warmer & with treble spike)

- Dimarzio Norton (Literally the perfect pickup for 80s rock / early van halen / Winger / Dokken etc. Tight bass, nice mids and a good dose treble with an alnico 5 magnet to use in warmer bodies/scales like the shawn lane). My personal recommendation for this guitar !!

- Dimarzio Transition ( Steve Lukather sig pickup - Fantastic Sound. Less vocal than the AT 1  and a little hotter with a wider frequency range . Ceramic magnet BUT doesnt feel too stiff and shrill like most other ceramics)

-Dimarzio Super Distortion (HUGE sound. Bright and also bassy with a huge thunderous chunk. Dimarzio's first ever and most famour pickup) Perfect into a cranked Marshall amp. 

Swap the Bridge Pickup out AND  use a set of 10-52 strings ! You can also raise the bridge / action just a tiny bit as well, this would help everything breathe a little better and less fret slapping sound.  Trust me, you'll feel like you have a completely new guitar!  Good luck and enjoy it, this is such a cool unique instrument !!

(p.s If you're confident enough you can also install a Tremolo stopper (FU-Tone.com) in the rear cavity which will make your trem DIVE ONLY instead of fully floating . This will increase sustain by the bridge/block contacting the body directly and hence resonate much more than a standard floating trem system.)

marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

09 Nov 2018 11:17

More coffee, sir?