Tuning Problems With Vigier Expert Classic Rock

Lets talk about guitars
Football

05 Sep 2018 13:48

Hi.  Would love to get to the bottom of some persistant tuning issues.  I made a video of what's going on.  Hoping some people will chime in after watching and let me know if this is typical/to be expected from a Vigier 2011 tremolo equipped guitar.

Currently have 9-42 gauge strings on.  Have tried different brands (GHS Boomers, Curt Mangan and Fender Super Bullets).  Some of what's going on is that if I bend a string it goes pretty far flat.  After that if I depress the bar/press down it generally comes back to pitch.  

Strangely enough, it also goes flat immediately after when I lift the bar/raise the pitch of the strings then release.

Does yours exhibit this similar behavior?

Would something like a Tremol-No potentially address this?

Since this video was made I have had a luthier widen the nut guide (said it was too tight) and I replaced the six piece Zero Fret with a new one.  ("ting" type "nut" sounds seem to have now gone away, but those basic tuning problems shown in the video still persist).

The serial number indicates the guitar is from 2015.  The main things I'm thinking of are maybe that the felt type piece of material behind "nut"/string guide is pressing against the strings too hard.  Or maybe that when I turned one of the posts of the tremolo I hadn't loosened the grub nut and screwed something up.  If that were the case can someone let me know, or PM me what the cost would be to replace the tremolo.

The guitar is at least pretty unique, IMO.  Really would like to get it running as it should be.

Here is a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/nSJHxThuXqM

Ben
VIP
VIP

06 Sep 2018 09:31

I've had this issue with many trems of many makes over the years - it is nature of the beast - tbh it is one of the things that after 15yrs+ of using trems religiously, I moved to fixed bridge guitars some time ago and have not looked back - I love the added 'oomph', sustain and resonance of a fixed bridge guitar - saying that I still like a play on a FR loaded guitar now and then! It can be wear n' tear, or set-up or strings or any combination, sometimes it is impossible to eradicate (I have heard stories of some very famous players with just such issues and they compensate with playing style such as you demonstrate). Even from your video it would be near impossible to determine without a proper look over the guitar and full set-up etc. As I said, this is a common trait of trems - even more noticeable on FR trems.

I see DJ did answer in your other thread…to start, make sure everything on your guitar, every contact and moving part is cleaned, lubricated and free from any wear (MusicNomads TUNE-IT is great for all moving parts).

Then, make sure strings are properly stretched, then stretched some more, then stretched again - can't over emphasise this for any term! …as DJ said, experimenting with many strings too - all is personal, what one person swears by, the next may hate. I prefer Elixir, I used to use D'Addario all the time, I have never got on with Ernie Ball - but this is more down to string breakage and rusting.

Finally and this can take a long time, make sure the guitar is well and truly properly set-up - I have seen many, many apparently 'pro' set-up guitars in my years that are terrible, or still have issues - just because someone says they know what they are doing, doesn't always mean they can work on any particular guitar. I know great techs that struggle with certain makes/types of guitars, but excel with other types.

If you have  a lot of time and patience, it is always best to learn yourself and work through methodically any set-up.

Good luck! 

1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

06 Sep 2018 09:56

I endorse Ben and DJ answers.

- Make sure the strings are not stuck at the nut (we have 3 types of nut to fit 80% of the strings gauge)- Lubricate the zero fret- Make sure the machine head are a little hard to turn, I mean some people untight the button screw for comfort, which is a mistake.- Do not use strings like Ernie Ball RPS or their new references with supposed reinforced ball end- See the instruction how to install the strings at the machine heads (no string turn around the post)- Make sure the springs are in line (not in V like I see on some guitar, it looks cool but springs works better if they are perpendicular to the bridge).- If you do not have a flexretainer on your guitar you may consider it. If you have the old string retainer make sure the screw is not tighten, so the head of the T can turn.

It would be helpful to have a closeup of your guitar head, bridge and back spring

Football

07 Sep 2018 12:18

Thank you very much for the replies.  Seem to have things working better than previously.  Started from scratch with some of your suggestions.  

Bought this guitar used.  It arrived with an intermittent barrel jack and volume pot.  Also had much higher action than I like.  So had some things to sort out to try and get it up to snuff.  While addressing the electronics yesterday I had to take the strings off, of course, and had easy access to lubricate everything.  Took tremolo out and reinstalled to make sure it was seated properly and that nothing strange was going on in that department.   By the way, holy cow that's a small space to try and get in and tighten/loosen the barrel jack.  Not sure what tool is that small to easily do the trick?  

Finished these things last night and played for a little while.  Think I got some decent improvement.  Will give it another go today.

On a side note, I defintely want/am trying to get the guitar in as tip top shape as possible, specifically because in a variety of ways it's SO great amd unique.  And this Classic Rock is crazy versatile.  Does funky clean sounds like nobody's business, and can also rock out (unsurprisingly) big time.  Not sure it's widely known in guitar land in the US as to how much of a clean machine this model is.  

And on another side note, DJ has been very helpful.

Again, thank you for the support.  Will chime back in after I get some more time with the guitar.