Shawn Lane Signature Questions

Lets talk about guitars
DeLorean
Super user
Super user

01 Sep 2018 04:37

Hi,

I'm just curious - is there a big difference between the Shawn Lane Signature vs Shawn Lane Master models?

It's the non-Floyd model - how is the trem on the older ones - is it the same as the current trem?   

Also,  I've heard there are some issues with the tone controls on the earlier SL models - apparently the tone control didn't have much effect? Is this true for the 2009 version?

I'm looking at buying a 2009 model (signature, not master)  so just wondered if you could help me out with these questions please :)

Thanks!

Ben
VIP
VIP

03 Sep 2018 12:04

The difference is the SL Master Signature we use extremely rare French Flamed Alder. In terms of other spec (p/ups, scale, etc both models are the same).

We have no known issue with the taper on our tone pots.

The trem will be the same, we did change the arm on our standard trems around 2009, you would have to check if the trem arm is the thicker 'FR type', as we use on all our guitars as standard now.

DeLorean
Super user
Super user

03 Sep 2018 13:32

Thanks Ben - I bought the Shawn lane yesterday (I love it!) - But I have 3 more questions if that's ok? (sorry!

I keep seeing mention of a 2011 trem (mine doesn't have a floyd rose) - that's why I wondered whether mine was different.  So is my 2009 model on ball bearings or knife edges?

Second question is - I've seen some Shawn Lane models which have a "fuzzy" black strip behind the nut.  Mine doesn't have this - what is that strip for, and do I need it? 

Lastly,  my guitar tech thinks it needs 10 gauge strings instead of 9s because I play in Eb tuning - will this be ok?  He thinks there will be too much buzz if I use 9s in Eb tuning.   He says he'll recut to nut if needed to allow for the heavier gauge.  What are your thoughts on this?

If it helps, my serial number is 090142

Ben
VIP
VIP

03 Sep 2018 14:15

Ok, first up, congratulations on owning a Vigier. Let me try and answer…

1) the previous tremolo was called 2010 (it had a thinner type tremolo arm). Yours will be on needles bearings, not knife edges. We changed this far back (early 2000's), if I remember correctly.

The strip you mention is a dampener, you can add this if you wish and is possible to order - contact a Vigier dealer to do so, they are fairly cheap and when worn easy to replace (just stick on/peel off).

The nut's are replaceable - you should not re-cu them. Again, contact a Vigier dealer to replace. They are simple to replace, they simply 'pull off' and new nut pushes on. 

For the set-up, this is personal preference - personally speaking, the best SL I played had a far higher action and 10-52's!!

DeLorean
Super user
Super user

03 Sep 2018 14:18

Thanks Ben, that's really helpful!!! :)

The guitar is with the tech at the moment.  None of the UK dealers seem to have stock of the nuts though - will it be ok if he recuts it, or will it cause a problem?

Ben
VIP
VIP

03 Sep 2018 15:08

Dealers should be able to order very easy - this is always our recommendation.