Adjusting Overall Tremolo Height on a 2011 style Expert Classic Rock

Lets talk about guitars
Football

23 Aug 2018 03:54

Wondering if I can lower overall action using the two posts while under tension/tuned up?  Or should I detune all the strings first, then adjust the two posts for desired height after?  I did look through the manual but not noticing much for specifics other than where to adjust posts.

Realizing with some other tremolo bridges it's suggested to detune, but curious if this is different because of the ball bearings.

Just bought mine used and came with much higher action than I typically use.

I know I can adjust by each bridge saddle, but would like to get the overall hieght down first.

Two other questions as well.  I'd like to try a heavier gauge string (10-46) and wondering if I need a different zero fret so the strings won't sit too high.  

Also, would like to order a different pickgaurd for my Expert if possible.  Like the turqoise color I saw ina pic online.  Want to load up a second guard with Dimarzio noiseless pickups (my Vigier has the Ambers) which are my main ones in all my strats, but want to still have the original guard intact in case I want to go back to it.

thank you

Ben
VIP
VIP

23 Aug 2018 15:45

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Ok, let me try and help.

It is advised to make sure you undo the grub screws (alan keys) that lock the posts before making any adjustments. As practice, I always tend to loosen the tension when making adjustments to a term, be it Floyd Rose or standard - it saves on any tension-related damage from misuse.

For string gauges - the nut you have (cut 9-46), as Teflon, you can work in 10-46 ok - the Zero Fret (6pc or older) will be absolutely fine, as the underside of the strings are ensured even by the Zero Fret construction.

For a separate loaded pickguard (in Tortoise if you wish), this is of course possible. Though we would say persevere with the Ambers, these are hand-wound and true vintage single coils, the sound is beautiful and sonically rounded - we do use DiMarzio's in some of the other Expert models - at the end of the day, all personal preference and if you find the Ambers not to taste, of course have the option to load different p/ups. As the pickguard is quick change on a Vigier - just a 'plug' to the jack socket - it is nice to have 2 fully loaded pickguards to go between depending on flavour!

Football

23 Aug 2018 15:57

Football wrote:

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Ok, let me try and help.

It is advised to make sure you undo the grub screws (alan keys) that lock the posts before making any adjustments. As practice, I always tend to loosen the tension when making adjustments to a term, be it Floyd Rose or standard - it saves on any tension-related damage from misuse.

For string gauges - the nut you have (cut 9-46), as Teflon, you can work in 10-46 ok - the Zero Fret (6pc or older) will be absolutely fine, as the underside of the strings are ensured even by the Zero Fret construction.

For a separate loaded pickguard (in Tortoise if you wish), this is of course possible. Though we would say persevere with the Ambers, these are hand-wound and true vintage single coils, the sound is beautiful and sonically rounded - we do use DiMarzio's in some of the other Expert models - at the end of the day, all personal preference and if you find the Ambers not to taste, of course have the option to load different p/ups. As the pickguard is quick change on a Vigier - just a 'plug' to the jack socket - it is nice to have 2 fully loaded pickguards to go between depending on flavour!

Thank you very much for the reply.  Do you happen to know the size Allen wrench I'll need to loosen those grub screws?  Guitar came with three Allen wrenches, but none fit those two screws.

By the way, my manual didn't mention unlocking those two screws anywhere I could find, for when changing overall tremolo height.  My serial number is from 2015 though.  

Hopefully that information is in the latest manuals cause that seems an important thing to know before trying to adjust the overall height of the bridge/tremolo.  Hadn't noticed they were there.

Thank you again for the help.

Football

24 Aug 2018 17:01

Curious if it is typical/expected when after bending say a G string, that the tuning of that string goes flat until the tremolo bar is used again.  To basically depress the tremolo quickly to reset the tuning.

I know for many years that is something I've done to keep a vintage tremolo in tune.  Wondering if that's how the 2011 tremolo works as well, or maybe my nut slots are too tight (or something like that) and some strings are getting caught in the slots.

Because when I bend strings (Seems unwound strings are biggest culprits) they are immediately out of tune and I have to use the bar quickly to bring them back.

Just want to know if that's expected.

Thank you

VigierDJ
VIP
VIP

28 Aug 2018 19:35

Football wrote:

Curious if it is typical/expected when after bending say a G string, that the tuning of that string goes flat until the tremolo bar is used again.  To basically depress the tremolo quickly to reset the tuning.

I know for many years that is something I've done to keep a vintage tremolo in tune.  Wondering if that's how the 2011 tremolo works as well, or maybe my nut slots are too tight (or something like that) and some strings are getting caught in the slots.

Because when I bend strings (Seems unwound strings are biggest culprits) they are immediately out of tune and I have to use the bar quickly to bring them back.

Just want to know if that's expected.

Thank you

Typically, if the string is stretched properly, you shouldn't have those issues. Of course, unwound G strings tend to be super fickle and there's only so much compensation you can do for that. 

I'm just a bassist afterall, but, in my experience certain strings are worse about this than others. I've found Ernie Ball and Curt Mangans to hold their tune the best and... others not so much.