Custom Order Wait Time

Lets talk about guitars
michaelbarre

05 May 2017 13:44

How long is the wait for a Vigier custom order? I was told 4-6 months but I'm still waiting after 7 months. Thanks!

Ben
VIP
VIP

08 May 2017 10:10

Average wait time is around 6 months, but can be between 4-8…also such things as when the build is in progress can take effect, i.e. Christmas, the NAMM Show/MusikMesse and summer vacation (when the factory is closed) etc.

Also, in the search for perfection the luthiers at Vigier will not rush any order and believe it is far better to take time to craft a guitar than rush and compromise on quality.

Also if the build is complicated, say colour or such, this can all have an impact on the wait - rest assured though, it is definitely worth the patience and wait to receive a guitar of the highest build quality.

michaelbarre

20 Jun 2017 21:57

Today is week 37 and still no guitar.

marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

21 Jun 2017 04:09

Were you quoted an estimated completion date, or just a timeframe? Sadly, a lot of custom builders (big and small) expend more effort in telling the customer the wait will be worth it than in either keeping them updated or in being honest up-front about how loose the timeframe is. 

The only reassurance I can offer is that Vigier QC is second to none; and your guitar will not be considered finished until it's been made the best it can be.

michaelbarre

21 Jun 2017 13:09

The dealer was told it was shipping soon, so I paid the balance on June 3 and he said he would ship it as soon as it arrives. It's over 8 months waiting so far.

Ben
VIP
VIP

26 Jun 2017 06:47

What guitar did you order and from what dealer?

4-6 months is a standard quote (can be slightly longer/shorter depending on other factors), factor in NAMM show and Xmas and the wait looks about right currently for a build...

michaelbarre

26 Jun 2017 14:42

Hi, Ben.  I ordered an Excalibur Custom on October 4 from the Guitar Poetry shop.  I spoke with you about it at the last Dallas Guitar Show at the Guitar Sanctuary table.  Joe has told me he will ship it as soon as it arrives. I can't understand what is taking so long!

Mike

michaelbarre

26 Jun 2017 18:02

I spoke too soon. I got a text that my Vigier is coming in tomorrow!

Ben
VIP
VIP

27 Jun 2017 08:19

Great, yes being abroad you may have to wait slightly longer for shipping. You probably spoke to the US manager DJ - I am based in the UK. Enjoy your new guitar! 

michaelbarre

07 Jul 2017 20:22

After 9 months, I'm still waiting for my Vigier guitar. It was shipped along with another Vigier from France on June 23 - 2 weeks ago. The guitars arrived in Memphis Tennessee in the early morning hours of June 25 .  On the 27th there was a customs clearance delay and there has been no movement since then despite my dealer's calls to FedEx to resolve the issue.  The problem is the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  The FedEx tracking says "Exception Reason: Animal parts or animal products clearance required." The Vigier factory has been informed and they are working to get it resolved. I talked to my dealer today and he has been unable to get any information on a time when it may be resolved.  I don't blame Vigier for any of this (although it did take them 9 months to build and ship my order). I blame the U.S. government for this unbelievable stupidity! I wouldn't recommend someone in this country order a Vigier guitar.  Buy one that's already here, if you can find one you like.

VigierDJ
VIP
VIP

07 Jul 2017 22:21

Hey Mike,

DJ here, we met briefly in TX. Sorry for the trouble! This is completely atypical. Usually guitars with maple boards arrive from our factory to our dealer in 2 days (sometimes 1!) We're doing everything in our power to resolve this, but it's been a very frustrating situation. I'll keep Joe updated as best I can in the coming days. Hopefully it'll be resolved soon!

-DJ

michaelbarre

07 Jul 2017 23:01

Thanks, DJ. I know everybody is doing everything they can. This has only affirmed my low opinion of government. It was nice to meet you at the guitar show! I know the Vigier will show up eventually and it will be a great addition to my guitar collection.  I'm a native Texan who's 1/2 French (my Dad immigrated at age 8 speaking no English), so the Excalibur Custom wll be with me for the rest of my life.

michaelbarre

26 Jul 2017 14:03

It has been over 4 weeks with my guitar sitting in customs with no resolution  in sight.  I called FedEx and they said it would be released on June 24th; it was not released.  My patience is just about expired and I'm seriously considering asking Joe for a refund. This company has some serious problems!

marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

31 Jul 2017 02:30

How dare the Vigier family pass that CITES legislation and tell US Customs to be backed up indefinitely!

niquekay
New
New

17 Jan 2018 01:00

So what ever happened with this?

Did you ever get it?

I've been contemplating either ordering a custom Vigier from a dealer in the USA or possibly getting a used one from a private seller overseas.  There's a pretty good deal being offered to me but ofc it has a damned rosewood fingerboard.  

I thought the CITES rules allowed for personal (like under 10kg) quantities of rosewood to pass through without any problems, so long as there is a cerfificate of origin inside of the case?

I'm still doing the research on this, would be helpful if anyone could clarify.

I've also been told that you should essentially _never_ use FedEx for importing anything, they hit you with a crap ton of fees too apparently.  

OFC it should be stated that this isn't Vigier's fault...Not sure what else they could've done differently

Also FYI this is not specific to the USA, the decision was made and it affects the majority of developed nations all over the world.  To be honest I'm hoping more builders will switch to richlite in the future, although I don't wanna open up a can of worms in this thread, I know some people have *strong* opinions on richlite, lol.

michaelbarre

17 Jan 2018 15:39

I finally received my Vigier Excalibur Custom in August after waiting 44 weeks.  The Vigier company did nothing wrong and I appologize for venting my frustration on them.  FedEx failed to give a document that had to be signed to the dealer, Joe Byrnes, of Guitar Poetry, and 2 guitars sat in a warehouse for 5 weeks with FedEx doing nothing.  Myself, Joe, and D.J., the Vigier USA sales rep, had called several times and all they would say is the shipment is being held by Fish & Wildlife with no real explanation.  Joe had sent me an email from FedEx where they admitted they were in the wrong and had the phone number of a manager.  I decided to call once more and this time I got a very nice lady who was very helpful.  I gave her the phone number and the next day Joe and D.J. had a conference call with FedEx and Joe told me the guitars were coming.  I prayed and asked God to tell me what I should do and the next day I got a feeling to call once more.  Jesus taught us to ask and it will be given to us.  The non-believers will scoff at this, but I was ready to throw in the towel and forget it.  I'm glad I didn't because the guitar is amazing!  Joe said it was the best Excalibur he's ever seen, and if I hadn't taken it, he was going to keep it.

Ben
VIP
VIP

17 Jan 2018 15:54

Great news you are happ (after the wait), I am glad teh wait was worth it. DJ is great and very helpful indeed!! Enjoy your guitar!!