Vigier tuners / extra mass and extra sustain

Lets talk about guitars
Les Paul Lover
Super user
Super user

30 Jan 2017 23:50

Hi,

I was wondering how you guys at Vigier discovered that oversized tuners would bring about extra sustain.

Was it trial and error? 

Is there some research in the subject that got you to think about it?

How much more sustain does it provide?

I know the way Vigier instruments are crafted,  sustain is already there in spades. So how much more does it add?

Ben
VIP
VIP

31 Jan 2017 19:49

This is long known fact about mass to a headstock, some players use a brass weight 'Fat Finger', but is ugly and not always practical. You're correct that Vigier guitars have sustain 'in spades', the mass added to the headstock is part of that sustain that a Vigier excels at. 

Les Paul Lover
Super user
Super user

03 Feb 2017 22:54

Thanks for the reply Ben.

Didn't know it was that well known, but the fat finger you mention brought my question up.

So.... How much sustain do these tuner add? I'm pretty sure - with the Vigier build quality in mind - that it must be a small return,  has Vigier quantified exactly how much sustain it adds?

In any case, what I love about those tuners is that the thumb wheel is much easier to handle than on other tuners where the thumb wheel is a tiny disc, painful to handle and turn !!!!

Ben
VIP
VIP

06 Feb 2017 09:56

I am not sure that patrice has ever quantified the exact amount of sustain they add, just to know that they do.

For the secondary benefit of ease of use - I agree there, having had to change strings on guitars with many other types of tuners in the past, the oversized locking tuners on a Vigier are a pleasure to use!