Shawn Lane Fixed Tremelo:

Lets talk about guitars
BILLDORA
New
New

27 Sep 2016 16:40

Can anyone tell me if they know how to make the tremlo floating enough to raise and lower the tremlo? 

I have watched Shawn play alot, and in many songs it appears he raises his Vieger tremlo. 

MrFox
New
New

28 Sep 2016 06:51

You cannot actually do that with signature Shawn Lane sig model. To work your tremolo both ways, you would need something like Floyd Rose for this purpose. If you would try to modify the original tremolo to do what Floyd does you probably end up with huge intonation/tuning problems.

Older Shawn never really used tremolo with huge "screams" in mind but to create, well, the tremolo effect to accentuate his playing. To give the sustain something to lean on, in other words make those notes more live like.

I believe what happened here is that you watched some older playing of Shawn, That would be from the nineties or so. Back then his axe of choice was Charvel XL750 guitar. This guitar looks a bit like a Vigier, I guess. Anyway this guitar came with Floyd Rose bridge. This is probably what you have been seeing?

-Fox

yuri1973
VIP
VIP

28 Sep 2016 09:58

The Shawn Lane model comes stock as a dive-only setup, but of course you can set it up to be floating.

You can achieve that by reducing the pull from the springs on the tremolo, so the tremolo stays flat and floating over the guitar's body:

1-moving the tremolo springs positions

2-removing one spring (if there's 3, leave only 2)

3-adjusting the claw screws

If you just moved to a very light gauge (i.e. 8-38), then the sPrings' pull are now a lot stronger than the sTrings' pull force, so you will probably need to use #2 and/or #3, but it should be achievable.

Regards

BILLDORA
New
New

29 Sep 2016 00:53

Hi 

Here is a link to Shawn with a Vieger and using the tremlo. I knew I had seen it more than once. I have watched nearly every video he has made. Thank you for all the answers so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBKnYrwIP0o

marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

29 Sep 2016 01:00

The Vigier trem is essentially a two point strat trem - My SL (as with all others, when new) was set up for dive-only, and within minutes of owning it was set to pull the G up a minor third. It only requires loosing the spring screws and lowering the saddles to compensate for the higher action.

BILLDORA
New
New

29 Sep 2016 17:54

Thank you for the intructions.

It is a much needed tool, especially since both Land and Govan used the tremlo up and down.

What about this piece?  adjusting the claw screws, are these the two screws to loosen?

And to remove 1 spring in the back.

yuri1973
VIP
VIP

29 Sep 2016 17:59

If I were you, I'd first remove one spring (center one), retune, and check where the tremolo bridge ends up. If too raised, then you need to screw in the screws at the claw, retune again, etc... Or viceversa.

Plenty of vídeos at youtube showing the process.

You can also achieve it without removing any spring, just loosen the claw screws, retune, repeat until bridge is in a good position

BILLDORA
New
New

29 Sep 2016 18:02

Makes perfect sense.

I will do it one step at a time.

Thank you for the quick help!