Differences GV models?

Lets talk about guitars
ztevie
Super user
Super user

21 Jan 2016 10:21

Hi!

I've found the obvious differences between Wood, Rock and Metal like rosewood board on 2 of them, different pickups and colors, a maple top on the Wood model. But are there any other differences, like in body thickness?

I'm thinking since thery have different weight there should be some differences other than the above. 3,3 kg, 3,8 kg and 3,9kg.

There is also a rather big price diffference since Metal is a bit cheaper than the other two, why is that?

Also, Wood and Rock is equipped with Amber pickups. Any info on what pickups especially? Can you find them on their website or are they made especially for Vigier outside their normal production and if so, can anyone tell me some about characteristics, output and what they would compare to vs major brands?

Thanks!

Ben
VIP
VIP

29 Jan 2016 10:37

Sorry for a delay to reply - just back from the NAMM show. The differences you have picked out already, but here is some extra info…

the G.V. Rock now features a Maple top. The weight differences are because each has a different configuration;

G.V. Metal > Alder body and Rosewood fingerboard.

G.V. Rock > Alder body w/Maple top and Rosewood fingerboard.

G.V. Wood > Alder body w/Maple top and Phenowood fingerboard (The Maple top on the G.V. Wood is extremely figured, aesthetically giving the G.V. Wood it's looks).

The p/ups on the G.V. Wood and G.V. Rock are hand-wound Amber p/ups, especially for Vigier. The G.V. Rock features uncovered p/ups, it is louder and more 'aggressive' in tone than the G.V. Wood. IMO the Amber p/ups are extremely clear for every note even with high-gain chord work and have a very 'musical' tone to them. For me, to say the very greatest p/up that is 10/10, to compare the Amber are 11/10. The big surprise is that they single positions are so sweet too (in fact my G.V. Wood sounds better in single coil than any other guitar I own).

The finish on the G.V. Metal (Textured Black), is not as labour intensive as the finishes on the other guitars to produce, so takes less time to craft, hence a cheaper price (this is also the same for the Excalibur Indus in the textured finishes).

Hope the info helps! 

ztevie
Super user
Super user

29 Jan 2016 20:06

Thanks! 

Ok so the weight difference is the maple top/phenowood and the price difference is basically the finish... 

Wood is definitely the most tempting one regarding looks, but Metal is clearly most bang for the buck since it's so much cheaper. I'm not so keen on DiMarzio Activator-X either, I like hot pickups but those are probably too much even for me... 

No Wood demo left over from NAMM for a nice price? ;) 

That guitar would complement my Shawn Lane perfectly!