Vigier pickup change...

Lets talk about guitars
ztevie
Super user
Super user

26 Oct 2015 10:09

Hi!

So yesterday was the day for changing pickups in my Shawn Lane model. I came across a couple of difficulties and thought I'd share it here, maybe it'll help someone else planning to do the same.

I swapped both humbuckers, not the middle single coil. The Air Classics are a bit weak for my taste so I ordered Bareknuckles, Alnico Nailbomb in the bridge and Cold Sweat in the neck.

First of all, a problem I was aware of is the fact that the humbuckers has 2 screws for adjusting height on the treble side. Luckily Vigier did this by an extra small metal plate which has 3 threaded holes. Middle for attaching the plate to the pickup and 2 on the sides for the height adjust screws. So that plate can be used for the new pickups aswell. The leg on normal pickups doesn't have more than 1 hole each side so I had to drill 2 extra holes in the pickups legs. This was easy since baseplate material is pretty soft, but you need to be careful so you don't get to close to the middle hole. I did have to file a bit to get it wide enough. A weird thing was that the screws used before didn't easily thread into the bareknuckle hole, and i didn't wanna force them in. No problem I thought, Bareknuckle sent plenty of screws with the pickups. However they were longer than Vigier screws and wouldn't fit into the cavity without touching the bottom. Neither did other screws of various brands I had at home so I had to cut the Bareknuckle screws a little bit shorter.

Ok, with that sorted out it was time to put the pickups in. The neck went in but it was really tight to get it into the pickguard. The bridge however didn't fit at all. So I had to take some sandpaper and start working on the pickguard. A boring hour later I managed to take away enough to press the pickup in there, but it was even tighter than the neck. I tell you, I'm so happy i didn't order pickups with covers cause they won't fit without some serious work on the pickup holes. I almost ordered chrome covers but decided not to, very glad for that now! I also noted that the springs for the height adjust screws used by vigier are very sturdy, so if you raise the pickup high you will get some major resistence. My solution was to use the BK springs which are much softer and I even cut them shorter to decrease tension. That worked fine. After that I just soldered the cables and all done. 

It wasn't difficult to do these things but I have plenty of tools and stuff in my garage so I'd imagine someone living in a small apartment without a metal saw, drilling machine etc who'd think it's just a matter of unscrew, unsolder and then just screw the new ones in and solder them will be a bit frustrated?

As I said, this was on a Shawn Lane and i have no idea if these issues would appear on other models with pickguards?

Anyway, hope this helps others and don't be discouraged to swap pickups, it's an easy way to alter tone in your guitar and well worth these small fixes i had to do to make it work...

EDIT: Oh, and another thing: The Vigier 2011 Vibrato seems very shallow so depending on the brand of strings you use, the wired part of the string end near the ball might be so long that it reaches over the saddle. I'm in a string testing period right now and the Ernie Ball, and Daddario NYXL was just fine, but I put on a set of Curt Mangan and they were too long. Just take off the ball of your old strings and put them on. It will be enough to make the wired part end before the saddle.

rieni_otten

20 Jun 2016 14:24

Wow... sounds like a sweaty Saturday afternoon of work! I make sure I have all these tools with me before starting on this. Thanks!

Ben
VIP
VIP

27 Jun 2016 08:19

I had a similar problem when * Seymour Duncan's into an Ibanez Universe, screws, p/up-pickguard size etc…the fun of mods!! So after all the effort what is the sound like now?

ztevie
Super user
Super user

27 Jun 2016 13:35

ztevie wrote:

I had a similar problem when * Seymour Duncan's into an Ibanez Universe, screws, p/up-pickguard size etc…the fun of mods!! So after all the effort what is the sound like now?

It did exactly what i expected and hoped for. The Air Classics are decent but a bit weak and have a too "round" tone for my taste.

The Bareknuckles are obviously more powerful, but I was mainly after more bite, tightness and a more defined tone. I got just that, so the effort was all worth it... 

Ben
VIP
VIP

27 Jun 2016 13:44

ztevie wrote:

ztevie wrote:

It did exactly what i expected and hoped for. The Air Classics are decent but a bit weak and have a too "round" tone for my taste.

The Bareknuckles are obviously more powerful, but I was mainly after more bite, tightness and a more defined tone. I got just that, so the effort was all worth it... 

Then it is a happy ending!! Excellent stuff!! 

rieni_otten

21 Jul 2016 22:44

There is something I don't understand (and maybe that's because I haven't had the courage to open my Excalibur yet), but from the first part of your description I understand that there is a hole in the middel of the plate and also a hole in the middle of the pickup leg... so why do you have to make two extra holes?

Also another general question.... if some pickup sounds good on a Gibson or a Fender, will it sound about the same on a Vigier or will it sound completely different due to the wood?

ztevie wrote:

Luckily Vigier did this by an extra small metal plate which has 3 threaded holes. Middle for attaching the plate to the pickup and 2 on the sides for the height adjust screws. So that plate can be used for the new pickups aswell. The leg on normal pickups doesn't have more than 1 hole each side so I had to drill 2 extra holes in the pickups legs.

ztevie
Super user
Super user

21 Jul 2016 23:45

ztevie wrote:

There is something I don't understand (and maybe that's because I haven't had the courage to open my Excalibur yet), but from the first part of your description I understand that there is a hole in the middel of the plate and also a hole in the middle of the pickup leg... so why do you have to make two extra holes?

Also another general question.... if some pickup sounds good on a Gibson or a Fender, will it sound about the same on a Vigier or will it sound completely different due to the wood?

Well, it's hard to explain in words, you will know when you try to fit new pickups, but here's another short try. 

Normally pickups have these square shaped pickup legs with one threaded hole, right? 

So if you don't drill holes through them, how are you gonna make the 2 screws go through the pickguard, then the vigier metal plate and finally through the pickup leg?

There is an exception. If you get a pickup with that small triangle shaped leg, like DiMarzio uses sometimes, you might get away with just filing a bit on the legs edges to let the screws pass by the leg. 

Regarding your sound question,it's impossible to answer. Even guitars of the same brand and model can sound different to eachother. I would assume though a Vigier Excalibur would sound more like a strat than an LP.

When I choose pickups, I generally try to focus on what the guitar is lacking and what I want it to sound like.

Like, if I for example have a guitar that sounds to bassy and muddy for my taste, I try to find a pickup that is clear, tight and with a brighter tone. Often I do succeed to get decently close to what I want. 

rieni_otten

25 Jul 2016 18:34

Thanks for explaining. And to me the Excalibur sounds too bright, brighter than a Strat, so I will swap for warmer, bassier, muddier pickups. :-)