Shawn Lane Master Series Fret Question

Lets talk about guitars
gitrman65
New
New

21 Mar 2012 23:59

I have just purchased a new SL Master Series guitar and I love it! The serial number starts with 10 so I think it might be a 2010 model. Does anyone know if these have Stainless Steel frets? I have jumbo stainless on all my other guitars but these smaller frets and low action really work well on the SL, I just hope that I won't have to worry about them wearing down because I can already tell that this guitar is going to see a lot of playing time!
marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

22 Mar 2012 07:19

Patrice posted in another thread that 2010s and newer are "probably" stainless. Did you get yours from Richard at AMP'd?
gitrman65
New
New

22 Mar 2012 11:58

Yes I did! I was a little worried because I have never played a Vigier, but I used to play a lot of classical guitar and the flat fretboard really appealed to me. I'm glad I took a chance because I really like the way it plays. With the neck being solid, it really seems to ring out. My other guitars are mahogany but I really like the "Crispness" of the alder.
Jeremy Krull
Super user
Super user

23 Mar 2012 05:26

The 2010 NAMM was when the stainless announcement was made, as well as the FlexRetainer being introduced. At that point, the actual show guitars weren't even all entirely stainless fretted guitars, most were but a few weren't (some of the instruments at the show were mint '09s as well). If I'm remembering correctly, based on what I saw and the timeline of everything (Patrice and the luthiers themselves will know definitively), it would appear that by April 2010 pretty much the entire line was actually being produced with stainless wire (meaning that everything leaving the factory as well as every model in the lineup had them). So I would say "probably" is pretty certain, although I'm sure with your exact serial number they could verify the exact build date etc and would also have exact build specs per model. Enjoy it, it's a truly unique offering, it's insanely fast too. -Jeremy
gitrman65
New
New

23 Mar 2012 16:31

Thanks Jeremy, You're absolutely right about how good these guitars play! I was practicing last night and I just thought about how good the neck feels. I have an Ibanez RG-550 early 90's model, a Jackson SLATQH, and a Gibson Les Paul. I condider all of them to be well made guitars with a great playing neck, I have had them all refretted with Jumbo Stainless Steel frets and Pleked, all of this work tacked on a great deal of money to the initial cost of the guitar. All I've had to do to the Vigier is put a Seymour Duncan JB Trembucker in the bridge pickup position. It's amazing how clear the notes ring out, VERY transparent, but it's really making me work on my technique to make sure I mute any notes that I don't want people to hear!

Jeremy Krull
Super user
Super user

23 Mar 2012 20:13

Really happy you're digging it. I've had instruments Plek'd before...the guy that programmed that particular Plek machine had absolutely no idea what he was doing though. That being said I've also played other instruments which were Plek'd from their respective factories. Still though I feel the Vigier fretwork is more natural, and above all more even (if that's even the right word). There's just something about the way they do it, where it just clicks, and it's perfect. The consistency is mind-numbing.
gitrman65
New
New

23 Mar 2012 22:21

Yeah I had my guitars done at Glaser Insruments in Nashville and Joe let me watch him set one up and there's a lot to it. They clamp the neck down with the same relief you have in your trussrod so after the frets are milled and the string tension is restored everything works out. I think he goes around the country and sets up Plek machines for other music stores and after talking to him I could see how. if someone didn't know how to set up the machine, it could really be bad. I really like the fact that you don't have to worry about truss rod adjustments with the Vigier. I'm guessing it will probably handle climate changes much better as well.