Can you feel the carbon strip sometimes?

Lets talk about guitars
guitari9
Super user
Super user

29 Feb 2012 18:02

Normally I can't feel that there is a carbon strip in the neck with my fingers and the neck feels like one uniform piece of material. But at some times of the year (Aug-March) the carbon strip slightly bulges from the neck and I can feel the difference between the strip and the neck. It again returns to normal in a few months. When I say 'feel' I mean that I feel a very very slight difference in materials only when I run my fingers along the neck. The same thing has happened over the last few years.

This is obviously not a defect but this has left me bewildered and was wondering if any of you have noticed the same.
nickeroo
VIP
VIP

29 Feb 2012 21:27

I have not noticed on any of mine. I am very sure it is nothing to worry about!
stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

03 Mar 2012 23:31

I'm guessing its the wood in the neck shrinking in the winter? The carbon fibre strip won't move.
GuitarEnthusiast

22 Apr 2013 09:57

I'm having the same problem with my Excalibur Custom. Although the neck feels solid, from fret 6 to 10 I can feel a very small difference in height between the carbon and the wood (I dont know how else I can describe it!).

I dont know if it is something that should be expected from the 90-10 system but I have to say that I'm quite worried since I've never heard of it before till now..is there something I should do ?

I have to mention here that I'm taking really good care of my guitar, always storing it in its case after playing and away from heat sources, humidity, cold etc. Actually I've only had it for 5 months and never even gigged with it (yet), it's only stayed at home..

Any help on this welcome..I'm quite worried ..

Thanks in advance!

Fredrik Pihl
VIP
VIP

23 Apr 2013 19:46

I haven't noticed any changes like you describe on my guitars. Wood is organic though and responds to temperature and humidity, so I guess that could be part of the explanation.Is it a constant change or just from time to time?

nickeroo
VIP
VIP

23 Apr 2013 19:56

Just as Fred says, wood responds to climate, so maybe that explains your symptoms.

I would like to say, and not sure if this reassures you, but: in my opinion what you describe is absolutely nothing to worry about. Ok, so it might font feel perfect but it does not mean your guitar is broken or the neck is warping. Vigier guitars are very very robust! 

GuitarEnthusiast

24 Apr 2013 08:29

Hello guys and thanx for the quick response.

I've only had the guitar for 5 months so I don't know if its something permanent or not - I guess time will tell. I'm a great fan of Vigier guitars and totally trust their build quality thats why it seemed so strange to me that something like this would happen. I have also noticed that intonation is off, but that may be due to old strings, I will replace them and see if this continues.

Again thanx for your answers, its quite reassuring to hear that it is not something that should worry me.

I will let you know if it goes away.

Cheers!

Fredrik Pihl
VIP
VIP

30 Apr 2013 05:02

For the intonation bit:

Have you changed the string gauges? For example from 0.09 to 0.10? If so, you need to re-intonate your guitar.

GuitarEnthusiast

06 May 2013 14:55

Hi, I've changed strings (same gauge) and intonation is ok now, I guess I've left the old ones too long.

I can still feel the carbon strip, lets see if it gets any better with time.