First pink Vigier...

Lets talk about guitars
C-4
Super user
Super user

12 Aug 2011 15:53

Having ordered an Excalibur Supra guitar sight unseen, unplayed, I had been cautioned that I might be taking a chance by some other guitarists who never buy before they try.

I felt confident that I was dealing with the very best guitar company available, having owned all types of Fenders from stock to master built, andersons, Suhrs, et al.

I decided that I wanted a version of Shell Pink as I have owned guitars in all the other colours that I had wanted previously, but for Shell Pink.  Lina at Vigier took the time to communicate with me, answer all of my questions, and send me samples of that shade of pink available, even though Vigier had never done a pink guitar before.  (I found out that Youri de Groote's guitar is a shade of rose.)

I finally looked for just the right shade I had in mind for the guitar and sent it to them.   They sent me back 3 versions of that shade which they had painted.  Once I chose the shade I liked most, it was all over but the waiting.

The guitar came in with the perfect shade I had desired with a matching headstock, white pearled pickguard, matching white pickups, and set up way beyond what I had received from any other guitar company prior to that.  The tonal versatility was amazing!  It took me about one minute to realize that Vigier builds the best bolt-on neck guitars in the world.  After playing mine for just a while, Fenders, and andersons felt like lower class builds and more toy-like then a pro guitar should feel to me.   The Suhrs are not bad, but still a distant second from the Vigier.  Of course this is just my opinion, but I have played for 55 years and continue to play professionally.  I have owned the other guitars mentioned above.  They are considered very fine guitars by those who own them, but compared to Vigier, there is no comparison for me.

What really impressed me right away was how the guitar vibrated without being amplified and sustained endlessly anywhere on the fretboard.  It felt like a guitar that had been played continuously for 50 years.  Extremely resonant, open and loud for a solidbody guitar played unamplified.  The feel of the neck is to die for as well, and the fret dressing was flawless.

The attention to every detail of the guitar was stunning to see.  Patrice and his crew of luthiers really do build very special guitars and basses, way above what a knowledgable person would think a guitar company would go out of it's way to do. Sorry I could not include any pictures, but Vigier did take a few before sending the guitar, as well as the Guitar Asylum, the dealer through which it was purchased. Unfortunately, I have no camera.

So thank you Patrice, Lina, and the entire Vigier company family for your amazing workmanship and attention to detail. 

nickeroo
VIP
VIP

17 Aug 2011 20:34

I have seen you mention your custom order on Harmoy Central, Mr. C4.  Some may say you took a gamble, but others who know Vigier, know you merely ordered your guitar, safe in the knowledge that it will be one of the finest guitars on the Earth.I too believe that Vigiers are the finest guitars around, currently. If not THE best, then certainly in the front ranks.I realy have come to the end of my search for my favourite guitar. They are all Vigiers. My Indus, Retro 54 and GV Metal. Each amazing at what it does. A fixed bridge model for good ROCK, a more Strat type for anything, and an Indus for metal and hard rock.I gig with my Vigiers quite a bit, and often let fellow guitar players try them. Their response is always:One guy said my Indus is the best guitar he ever played and he has competing brands and boutique guitars. He wants a GV too! I wish we could see pics of your new beautiful guitar! I would love to see the colour you picked out.I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come :)
C-4
Super user
Super user

22 Aug 2011 15:39

Nickeroo, Sorry I could not answer sooner, but I just had a back operation. The colour is a slightly different shade of shell pink, less tan looking but extremely mellow and sufisticated looking.  It has it's own aura and does not screem out to be seen.  Very French looking in a stylish way. I have called it Vigier Pink.  With the white pickup bobbins and pearled white guard it really has a classy look without being pimped looking.  The matching headstock finishes the look.  Without the pink headstock, it would not have the classy look to it, but more of the look of just a standard guitar. You are indeed correct that some players would not order a guitar as this without trying one first, but I have found that it the player has enough expereince playing different makes of guitars over a long period of time, that they can feel confident in what they are ordering without first playing a given guitar.  Iknow that I made the right choice, as you have. What a vast improvement over all the other bolt-on neck guitars from around the!
z.guitarfreak

23 Aug 2011 12:42

what? no pics?
VigierDJ
VIP
VIP

23 Aug 2011 13:12

C-4 wrote:what? no pics?
Yeah, Stephen!You guys have to see this guitar. Very cool shade of pink!
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

23 Aug 2011 13:30

A PHOTO IS NEEDED.......
VigierDJ
VIP
VIP

23 Aug 2011 13:50

Here's a blurry pic I took on my phone before it made its way to Guitar Asylum. I have to go to the Asylum today, I'll find out if they have any more.
C-4
Super user
Super user

23 Aug 2011 16:12

Thank you DJ for the "save" on the photo. Patrice and his super-luthiers did a simply tremendous job on this guitar! It is light weight, weighing in at just under 7 pounds, and has sustain for days.  The tone is just unbelievable and very versatile!  I am very appreciative of the company for taking this request.  I am also very appreciative of D.J. for spending his precious time working this order through to the finish. I am really having a blast playing this guitar in shows.  I am getting a lot of people, both players and non-players telling me how beautiful this guitar looks.  I've used it at The Hard Rock Cafe and other places where the light really brings ouut the "bling" beautifully.  Women seem to really love the color, and players told me that it looks classy without looking too feminine for a man to play.  It has that certain something, or as the French say (poor spelling) jenai se qua. 
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

23 Aug 2011 17:09

The photo show DJ's emotions, he is shaking in front of the guitar 
nickeroo
VIP
VIP

23 Aug 2011 17:31

A lovely colour. Yes it is like shell pink, but not as bright. It is a nice subdued pastel pink. Good choice, and the pearloid pickguard looks great.
C-4
Super user
Super user

23 Aug 2011 18:59

C-4 wrote:The photo show DJ's emotions, he is shaking in front of the guitar 
Hehe...the guitar has that affect on some people.  :) Guitars from other companies go out of tune when they are in the presence of Excalibur! ;)
VigierDJ
VIP
VIP

23 Aug 2011 19:01

C-4 wrote:

C-4 wrote:The photo show DJ's emotions, he is shaking in front of the guitar 

Hehe...the guitar has that affect on some people.  :)

Guitars from other companies go out of tune when they are in the presence of Excalibur! ;)

nickeroo
VIP
VIP

23 Aug 2011 19:38

What are the pickups, Mr. C-4?
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

24 Aug 2011 06:50

I can answer DiMarzioPAF ProFS-1Tone Zonein white...
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

24 Aug 2011 06:56

Just to avoid confusion...We made pink guitars in the past, the color was called Pink Panther :=) but this was in the 80'. More recently, on the Excalibur line, it is Youri DeGroote that asked us to make the first pink Excalibur and Expert as pink is his "trade mark".
C-4
Super user
Super user

24 Aug 2011 17:12

I was sorry to hear that Youri would not allow his color choice of "Baby Bottle" to be replicated on other Vigier guitars.  I really liked that shade originally.  However, after seeing his guitars in pictures under "More rare birds", I like the softer tone I chose to go with.  It's all good.  
Ben
VIP
VIP

25 Aug 2011 13:44

What a gorgeous 'pimp' looking guitar - even if it looked so good the DJ was shaking when he took the photo!! 
VigierDJ
VIP
VIP

25 Aug 2011 13:47

C-4 wrote:What a gorgeous 'pimp' looking guitar - even if it looked so good the DJ was shaking when he took the photo!! 
Pimp is the perfect word for it... too bad would could get a cheetah print liner for the case.