Straplocks

Lets talk about guitars
Qiz

14 Apr 2011 16:47

Bonjour,

I just got my brand new Excess Indus bass, which ofc is awesome, but when i wanted to put on Dunlop straplocks i noticed the screw didnt fit through the hole in the Dunlop thingy. Since i cant use a thinner screw cause it has to fit the casing inside the bass i was wondering which brand or type of straplocks i can use. On my 2 Passion basses the Dunlops fit perfectly.

Regards,

Qiz

Ben
VIP
VIP

15 Apr 2011 08:02

Hi Qiz,          I have had this question a lot recently so I will take the time to clarify.  Our metal bolt will not work without modification to the strap locks. I would suggest to use the Schaller strap locks - although you will need to 'drill' the actual button out ever so slightly. Do not use the screw that comes with the Schaller strap locks - this 'will' fit but as it is a wood screw will over time ruin the brass insert. I have heard from a large number of people that have done it this way - but I can verify it will eventually rip out the insert as it needs the metal retaining bolt to function properly.     I hope that is clear and you get your straplocks * with no problems. 
MJG
Super user
Super user

01 Apr 2013 10:33

I can confirm (so that anyone else searching here knows what works for current Vigier/Schaller specs) that I have used the method described by Ben in the previous reply in this thread and it has worked great.

The way I saw it the bolt that comes with the Vigier guitar HAS to be used as it mates perfectly/correctly with the brass insert in the guitar. ONLY problem is said bolt does not fit through the hole in the Schaller button!!!

It only JUST doesn't go - the Vigier bolt I believe is an M4 thread and the hole in the Schaller button was measuring 3.8mm. So I got a friend who has a precision mounted drill at his work to centre a 4mm drill bit on the button and pass it through a few times (effectively skimming less than half a mm of material away). Here is a picture of the finished job (Schaller button with Vigier bolt):

stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

07 Apr 2013 23:10

Sheeyit - I didn't know about this - I have better get my schallers taken off my Lane Signature and get them drilled out for the bolt - I hopefully I till have the bolts and the schaller screws haven't done any damage

Ben - could you make this a sticky pls on the forum and let dealers know?

MJG
Super user
Super user

08 Apr 2013 22:44

Qiz wrote:

Sheeyit - I didn't know about this - I have better get my schallers taken off my Lane Signature and get them drilled out for the bolt - I hopefully I till have the bolts and the schaller screws haven't done any damage

Ben - could you make this a sticky pls on the forum and let dealers know?

Stevie what year is your Vigier? It might not been an issue?... It will be if you have the brass insert of course.

stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

09 Apr 2013 19:38

Bought in July 1011, think she was built November 2010 ( she is sat with a friend at present so can't check)

Ben
VIP
VIP

10 Apr 2013 09:19

Qiz wrote:

Bought in July 1011, think she was built November 2010 ( she is sat with a friend at present so can't check)

In this case it will have the brass locking insert, so you must only use the brass 'metal' screw to prevent any damage to your guitar.

stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

20 Apr 2013 08:28

I have checked and they are bolts :-)

I seem to remember my dealer (Sounds Great ) popping the strap locks on when I bought it - so not surprised they knew exactly what they were doing and used straplocks that * the bolts.

You can't beat a knowledgeable dealer :-)

Ben
VIP
VIP

20 Apr 2013 11:30

Qiz wrote:

You can't beat a knowledgeable dealer :-)

Yep, the guys who were at Sounds Great are now run Tone World (we don't deal with Sounds great anymore).

Glad you have the correct bolts for your straplocks. 

marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

20 Apr 2013 12:27

It's been over a year, but Gary at Tone-World is a class-act. He let me pick his brain with legal questions concerning import/export and VAT laws that he had no obligation to answer,

stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

20 Apr 2013 12:54

Yep  - have known Gary , Rick  (and also Dave ) for  few years - great guys, great new store :-)

Fredrik Pihl
VIP
VIP

21 Apr 2013 06:53

I highly recommend the DiMarzio clip lock straps. I use them on all my Vigier guitars and I didn't need to make any modifications. And they are very reliable too.

http://www.dimarzio.com/straps/cliplock

MJG
Super user
Super user

12 Aug 2013 20:56

I have had this job done again (this time black chrome locks):

this can only mean one thing......... (new thread to follow...) :-)

djsaysauce
VIP
VIP

19 Aug 2013 12:18

I am using Dimarzio ClipLock straplocks. Just working fine for me. When packing into Vigier hard case, I have to place the end clip (trem end of guitar) on a cloth on the guitar body just in case it marks the guitar.

stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

08 Mar 2014 16:20

Has anyone tried TGI straplocks? 

They are half the price of Schallers ( not sure if metal quality / strength is as good)- and they fit the Vigier bolts

I was just going to order a pair for my GV Wood - but as its quite a heavy axe - I wanted to see if anyone had any experience using them?

I guess that the bolt itself takes most of the strain - they should be ok

They work fine on my Shawn Lane - but that's a lot lighter

Thanks

stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

22 Mar 2014 10:42

Hi - I got hold of the TGI straplocks - am just using the buttons - and the Vigier bolts fit thru them fine They are sold in UK - not sure about elsewhere - and are half the price of the schallers - the part of the lock which goes on the strap doesn't look to be as good quality as Schaller - but I om only interested in the buttons