Excalibur Ultra pickups

Lets talk about guitars
DonaldHall
New
New

17 Apr 2010 13:02

I have just bought an Excalibur Ultra * with EMG active pickups in a superb Light Saphire colour. From the EMG logo colours, it appears to have an 81 in the neck position and an 85 in the bridge position, although the EMG web site suggests that the 81 is traditionally used in the bridge position and the 85 most often used in the rhythm (neck) position. Can anyone explain the reasoning behind reversing the usual positions of these pickups in this guitar?
cgordonfreeman

18 Apr 2010 11:24

Hi, I don't know about the Excalibur in particular but I do know that combo of EMGs isn't uncommon. Some people prefer the lead sound of the 85 compared to the 81 and the rhythm sound of the 81. If memory serves, the Zakk Wylde signature Gibson has the pickups like that. The good thing about the EMGs is they have the quick connect feature so you could easily swap them around to experiment and it'd only take a few minutes. Cheers.
DonaldHall
New
New

18 Apr 2010 15:03

Hi, thanks for your reply. yes, you are right about the connectors on the EMG pickups. When I change the strings next, I will swap the 81 & 85 around to see what that sounds like. Regards, Donald.