Difference Between Short and Long Scale Necks

Lets talk about guitars
HKmatt
Super user
Super user

11 Oct 2009 09:08

I'd like to know what is the difference in terms of feel (slinky or tight, etc) and tone vis a vis short scale length guitars and long scale length guitars.

I noticed in this thread http://www.vigierguitars.com/forum/message.php?id_question=2502  that Ben mentions that the Shawn Lane has a shorter scale length (24.8") compared to the Ultra (25.6").

Thanks!

nickeroo
VIP
VIP

14 Oct 2009 18:17

I am no expert so this is all opinion: In general I think short scales sound "warmer". A typical Les Paul sounds very "round" and fat when using the neck pickup, but that is also down to neck and body materials and construction.  On a bolt on shortscale neck, the differences are not so pronounced. But they are real! A longer scale will sound more like a typical strat, quite "snappy" with more articulated notes, especially on fast runs at the high frets, and at high gain. The key thing is: A shorter scale will definitely make strings easier to bend. They will feel more slinky. On a Les Paul, a set fo 10s will be like a set of 9s on a normal scale guitar. A set of 9s feels very slinky indeed, especially if you use Ernie ball slinky strings, which is if I recall rightly, what Vigier recomends you use. Having said that, I think the Lane signature marries the best of both worlds! I have not tried one though, so perhaps other memebrs have good advice too.    
TexBrit
New
New

31 Oct 2009 17:53

For me, I prefer longer scale length necks for playability.  True, it might be easier to bend with a shorter neck; but I have a Les Paul, which I love, but I find that playing the higher frets are more difficult on it because the frets are too crowded together, and even some open chords (like A) more difficult because of less space between the frets even that low down.For me, a Les Paul is a great instrument for melodic/solo/power-chord work up to Fret 12.  But open chords, barre chords, and any kind of work above 12, I prefer a longer neck like on a Fender or my Vigier.
HKmatt
Super user
Super user

02 Nov 2009 08:07

Yeah, it is a little bit tight up there on the high frets for the Shanw Lane model, but it is acceptable for me. I also notice a difference going from my shorter-scale Shawn Lane to my other guitars such as PRS and Suhrs... feels like I'm swimming around there in the low end of the neck with plenty of room, but is still reasonable up high. I have an Edwards relic LP which I haven't played for a very long time, so I'm gonna string that up and do some comparisons.     Cheers