New Excalibur Custom, questions about Floyd and getting rid of a bit of buzz

Lets talk about guitars
chimera963chris
New
New

14 Feb 2009 19:33

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. This morning I picked up my brand new Excalibur Custom from Machinehead, Hitchin, UK!!

This is my first Vigier, after trying it, I was shocked by the amount of sounds that could be attained from it. When I bought it, it had a bit of fret buzz on the bottom E and A strings, the shop set it up and lowered the action even more, and it plays like a dream, literally the sweetest set up I have experienced, but the buzz is still there.

Now, it's not too bad, doesn't sound through the amp, but it would be nice to try and cure it. My problem is, I love the set up so much. I haven't owned a floyded guitar in ages, and would like to become comfortable with it (have had some dodgy previous experiences). Would tightening the bottom screw at the back of the guitar (for the lower region of the bridge) add a bit of extra tension on the lower strings? If so, would it be worth doing this, and perhaps heightening that side of the bridge by a fraction too? I really don't want to sacrifice the current playability.

Thanks a lot. And a special thanks to Patrice, these guitars really are amazing.

I'll post some pictures soon.

-Chris
megalodon
Super user
Super user

19 Feb 2009 12:39

I think that with electric guitars, a little bit of fret buzz is ok, as long as you don't hear it through the amp and as long as it does not influence the sustain too much.