Problem with the neck on my new vigier

Lets talk about guitars
markwm
New
New

19 Nov 2008 22:17

I bought a brand new excalibur special couple weeks ago in the UK.

Having some problems with the neck. Pretty much as soon as I started playing it I noticed the back of the neck was "rubbing up". I thought perhaps the shop had used some kind of polish on the neck and I was merely rubbing it off as I moved my hand up and down, by doing so creating little flecks of dry polish.

See pic:

http://img19.picoodle.com/img/img19/3/11/19/f_vigierm_48eeb0a.jpg

2 weeks later now and still getting this problem, it makes the neck feel really rough because bits are constantly forming. I can simply rub my finger on the back of the neck and these bits will form.

Dunno what the issue is but it's a new one on me. I even wondered if actually the neck was rubbing skin off my hands but I really don't know. Any ideas?
markwm
New
New

19 Nov 2008 22:21

How do I make text go on a new line? my post doesn't look like I did was I was composing it.
B
VIP
VIP

19 Nov 2008 23:31

Hi, I hope you don't mind me asking, but do your hands get sweaty easily? The reason I ask is that when I let a friend of mine use my Vigier a similar thing happens. When I get it back and go to play it, the neck feels slightly rough and sticky, sometimes with them 'fleks' of skin, for lack of a better term. His hands gets really clammy very easily (you should see the state of his new guitar strings after one gig!). But after rubbing the neck, it feels normal again. The only other thing I could even think of would be if you are allergic to whatever the neck is sprayed/coated with? But I think that is a little too far fetched to be honest... Aside from this issue, how is the guitar?
markwm
New
New

19 Nov 2008 23:43

Hi, my hands don't get sweaty at all. To clarify, the neck rubs up like this within seconds of me touching it. I can open the case, take a finger and rub it on the back of the neck and this happens. That's what made me think it was polish because it rubs up so quick. I've never had similar issues with other guitars. I have a Tom Anderson right next to me now and can rub it the same with no problems at all. The guitar looks stunning and the fret finishing/BQ is immaculate, I waited a long time to buy but can't say I've played it much yet. The main reason being the topic of discussion here is spoiling any enjoyment at the moment. Perhaps I need to 'play it in' a bit more and hopefully it will go away.
B
VIP
VIP

20 Nov 2008 22:40

Man I don't know what to say, its so.... bizarre! I just hope it sorts out soon so you can get on with playing. It must be so frustrating having waited so long and paid up and not be able to play it that much. Maybe like you said, keep playing and the problem may clear itself up (no idea how). The guitar is definitely worth it. Good luck!
Dennis g.

12 Dec 2008 02:27

Don't know if you use hand lotion or not, but I switched to playing with no hand lotion on and this problem went away.  Hope this helps.
1Patrice Vigier
Site Admin
Site Admin

12 Dec 2008 08:33

It looks like is not the neck but your skin that goes away  .