First impressions......

Lets talk about guitars
B
VIP
VIP

09 Mar 2008 19:37

I guess I'm kinda 'preaching to the converted', but I would like to share my first impressions of the Excalibur Special.

I've had the guitar a little over a week, and to be honest I've not had chance to play it as much as I would have liked...so I'm no doubt still in the honeymoon period?

Firstly, I was a little worried about how the neck would feel. With having quite small hands and playing the same guitar for the last 5-6 years, I always find it a little strange whenever i play a different guitar. I need not have worried. The neck is ridiculously smooth, really thin too, yet just the right amount of 'girth', if you like. The action is just daft....so low....it's great! I'd love to try a Shawn Lane Model sometime, as I can't imagine getting a lower action than on my Special.

The first issue as far as playability is concerned, was when I came to bend the strings. As I mentioned, for the past 5-6 years I've been playing an Ibanez, with jumbo frets which makes string bending easier. With the Special having medium frets, I found myself constantly catching the string above when bending. However after a bit of playing, and a little technique adjustment, it's not even an issue. The fretwork is FLAWLESS. Really smooth and well polished. This guitar near as plays itself!

Secondly I was really suprised at how LOUD she is unplugged. y'know the litmuss test for me, with how a guitar sounds is when you play it unplugged. There is a natural warmth there in the tone yet really resonant too!!

As far as plugged in is concerned, this is what will take me longer to give a fair assessment on, just because I believe it's not something you can give a snap opinion on. Bear in mind I play a Peavey Valve King at the mo...In time I will get an amp that a guitar like this deserves. But....I noticed how quickly the gain clears up when I back off the volume control from full on hi gain to a nice clear crunch in only a few small incriments. Carry on rolling off the volume, and you get a nice spectrum of usable clean tones varying in their amount of bite. The pick ups give a really good range of tones too. A really singing strong tone in the bridge through to glassy cleans, Strat to Les Paul type in the neck.

As i said, I think the tone is something you discover as you get used the the guitar so these are just my initial thoughts, bearing in mind I don't play through a great amp(which is next on the shopping list when i get the money...my girlfriends gonna be mad at me!!!)

So, so far so good. I will give more of my thoughts as I discover more interesting things with this guitar!

Cheers

Brad

Ben
VIP
VIP

10 Mar 2008 21:34

Hi Brad,         Excellent to hear you are getting on with your new guitar - I am looking forward to more reports once you get it through the amp some more...post some pics as well!!
Mike Keller
Super user
Super user

12 Mar 2008 04:59

Congrats- for me playing a Vigier for the first time was definitely an eye (and ear!) opening experience. And yes, please post some pics!!

peace, Mike

B
VIP
VIP

12 Mar 2008 14:49

Ok, here are some pics!, Not the best pics in the world, but it gives ya an idea Brad    
Michel Sigwalt
VIP
VIP

18 Mar 2008 16:50

The links to your pics are dead  ...  MS