GV Wood - nuts n strings

Lets talk about guitars
stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

19 Sep 2022 18:43

I’m lucky enough to own GV Wood in solid and hollow body versions 
I find the pickups too bright for my amp setup - has anyone tried half wounds ? 
Also - does anyone know if the standard nut for the GV (ships with 9-46 strings ) will also take a slightly heavier set - up to 10-50 for example ?
Thanks 
marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

20 Sep 2022 02:36

stevie axeman wrote: I’m lucky enough to own GV Wood in solid and hollow body versions 
I find the pickups too bright for my amp setup - has anyone tried half wounds ? 
Also - does anyone know if the standard nut for the GV (ships with 9-46 strings ) will also take a slightly heavier set - up to 10-50 for example ?
Thanks 
I use a 10.5-50 set on my SL; and so know from experience that the stock 9-46 nut will only let you get away with a 10-46 set before things start binding. The good news is that you or a tech can enlarge the slots the same as any other nut, or you can order one cut for your preferred gauge through any Vigier dealer and then just pop it in.

Considering the pickups being too bright: half wounds or a “roller-flattened” set such as the GHS Eric Johnson will help, but adjusting pickup height or going with different value pots may make a bigger difference.
stevie axeman
Super user
Super user

20 Sep 2022 09:13

Thanks  - I will definitely order a new size nut then, so I have the option to go up a gauge. I have a set of GHS Eric J's still in their packet - I didnt realise they were half-rolled, so will give them a try when I have new nut installed - thanks  !
marcwormjim
VIP
VIP

20 Sep 2022 18:53

stevie axeman wrote: Thanks  - I will definitely order a new size nut then, so I have the option to go up a gauge. I have a set of GHS Eric J's still in their packet - I didnt realise they were half-rolled, so will give them a try when I have new nut installed - thanks  !
Cool. Assuming 1M pots are still being put in those guitars, I’ll be curious to know whether heavier strings happened to fatten things up enough.